Particle CLI Installer (Windows)

We now have a straightforward way for people to get started with the Particle command-line interface (CLI) on Windows.

It's a simple installer that installs the CLI and the drivers needed. Once installed the Particle CLI will keep itself auto-updated.

Install Particle CLI through here

Note: If you previously had the CLI installed through npm, please do npm uninstall -g particle-cli before running the installer.

A similar auto-updating installer is in the works for Linux and Mac OSX.

For more information on how to use the command-line interface, check out our CLI documentation.

Let us know how it goes!

10 Likes

MIGHT just be my computer, but the installer said it was finished but then for about 5 minutes afterwards messages began appearing about “Did I want to install this com port driver” and “did I want to install this LPT driver”. I now can’t find any way to open the CLI I’ve supposedly just installed. As I said, this might just be me. I’ve searched the desktop, start menu, program files and program files x86. Will reboot and see if anything turns up then! :smile:

1 Like

Hi,

You probably have Windows 7. I’ve seen that it takes FOREVER for Windows 7 to install drivers.

To start using the CLI, open up the Command Prompt and type particle setup

1 Like

You’re right about the Windows 7 bit :smile:
I’m making headway.

Just an error I can live with on naming my Core. “Something went wrong”

I’ll cope!

Worked great on Windows 8.1 Pro! No snags, it just worked.

Yes !
Taking FOREVER on win 7 for me too !

I do much prefer the automagic installer though, reassuring and easy for us newbies :smile:

That sucks :frowning: I’m all for fast tools. I’ll see if I can figure out why the startup time is so bad on Windows 7.

Thanks for developing this =)

However, where do I find the download link for the installer?

At the bottom of the page it shows “INSTALL ON LINUX OR MAC”, but I’m on Windows 8.1. And that link just opens the (outdated?) documentation on how to install it using node.js etc. No mention of the windows installer (except for a community-made one).

Not quite sure where it went after the new website went live, odd. Nonetheless, I found the link in yesterday’s newsletter, have at it :smile:
https://binaries.particle.io/cli/installer/windows/ParticleCLISetup.exe

1 Like

today running particle-cli on windows10 mentioned there is a newer version 1.17.0 available with npm install instruction. Install worked but running Particle from my working directory did not work. Kept running v1.16.0. Only when running from my \users\myself\appdata\roaming\npm directory it started v1.17.0. Why?
Actually I am not 100% sure. But swapping the last 2 items in the windows path variable solved it. So place …\roaming\npm BEFORE …\particle\bin. Now I can run Particle from any directory and get v1.17.0.

It could be that you’ve got two separate installations of the CLI installed, having only updated the manual one, rather than the installer version.

You might want tp use the global switch

npm install -g particle-cli

or

npm update -g particle-cli
1 Like
npm update -g particle-cli

Does precisely nothing on my Windows 10 PC and install gives me this:

C:\Users\wjs>npm install -g particle-cli
npm WARN deprecated minimatch@2.0.10: Please update to minimatch 3.0.2 or higher to avoid a RegExp DoS issue
/
> serialport@3.1.2 install C:\Users\wjs\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\particle-cli\node_modules\serialport
> node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build

[serialport] Success: "C:\Users\wjs\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\particle-cli\node_modules\serialport\build\Release\serialport.node" is installed via remote
C:\Users\wjs\AppData\Roaming\npm\particle -> C:\Users\wjs\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\particle-cli\bin\particle.js
particle-cli@1.17.0 C:\Users\wjs\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\particle-cli
├── xtend@4.0.1
├── semver@5.3.0
├── cli-spinner@0.2.5
├── temp@0.8.3 (os-tmpdir@1.0.2, rimraf@2.2.8)
├── cli-table@0.3.1 (colors@1.0.3)
├── chalk@1.1.3 (escape-string-regexp@1.0.5, supports-color@2.0.0, ansi-styles@2.2.1, has-ansi@2.0.0, strip-ansi@3.0.1)
├── node-wifiscanner2@1.2.0 (os-locale@1.4.0)
├── inquirer@0.11.4 (strip-ansi@3.0.1, ansi-regex@2.0.0, ansi-escapes@1.4.0, through@2.3.8, cli-width@1.1.1, figures@1.7.0, rx-lite@3.1.2, cli-cursor@1.0.2, run-async@0.1.0, string-width@1.0.2, readline2@1.0.1)
├── form-data@1.0.0-rc4 (async@1.5.2, mime-types@2.1.12, combined-stream@1.0.5)
├── hogan.js@2.0.0
├── when@3.7.7
├── glob@4.5.3 (inherits@2.0.3, inflight@1.0.6, once@1.4.0, minimatch@2.0.10)
├── binary-version-reader@0.4.0 (buffer-crc32@0.2.5, h5.buffers@0.1.1)
├── lodash@3.10.1
├── request@2.75.0 (is-typedarray@1.0.0, oauth-sign@0.8.2, aws-sign2@0.6.0, forever-agent@0.6.1, tunnel-agent@0.4.3, caseless@0.11.0, stringstream@0.0.5, isstream@0.1.2, json-stringify-safe@5.0.1, extend@3.0.0, aws4@1.5.0, combined-stream@1.0.5, node-uuid@1.4.7, qs@6.2.1, form-data@2.0.0, mime-types@2.1.12, tough-cookie@2.3.1, har-validator@2.0.6, hawk@3.1.3, bl@1.1.2, http-signature@1.1.1)
├── latest-version@2.0.0 (package-json@2.4.0)
├── softap-setup@1.1.4 (nconf@0.7.2, node-rsa@0.2.30)
├── moment@2.15.2
└── serialport@3.1.2 (bindings@1.2.1, commander@2.9.0, debug@2.2.0, es6-promise@3.3.1, nan@2.4.0, object.assign@4.0.4)

C:\Users\wjs>

I have tried npm install -g minimatch

What am I missing (apart from v 1.17.0 particle CLI)?

1 Like

That output looks rather normal to me :wink:
What does

particle --version

give you?

Maybe you want to try npm uninstall -g particle-cli and then try to install again.

1 Like

Particle --version
gives

npm uninstall -g particle-cli gives

unbuild particle-cli@1.17.0

If I try install I get exactly the same as I have shared above!

That looks as if you have (had) got two instances of CLI and possibly also of node/npm installed.

When you did particle --version the 1.16.0 instance was found first but the npm instance you were executing the uninstall command with obviously rather got 1.17.0 first to remove.

What happens when you execute the uninstall twice?
Can you locate another particle-cli folder after you uninstalled?
Does particle --version still work after you unbuilt 1.17.0?

You can look for particle-cli in

%appdata%\Local\particle\node_modules

and

%appdata%\Roaming\npm\node_modules

Running uninstall twice takes away the 1.17.0 version only and leaves the 1.16.0 version.

I can see copies in appdata\Local and appdata\Roaming.

Can I just delete these files and start again?

Update: I removed the local version of the files and 1.17.0 was exposed and working! Thanks for the tip about the second version.

2 Likes

This is an FYI:

Norton Internet Security deletes ParticleCLIsetup from my Windows computer when I download it.

Damn paranoid Norton antivirus…

I submitted this as a false positive detection but there’s no indication of how long correction would take.