Failed connecting to WiFi

Yes Chip antenna.

It is an Apple extreme but a few years old.

I guess I have to tick the check box in invoke the 5GHz?

I don’t think I can choose WPA on its own.

Any other suggestions or do you think I need to send it back. I would prefer not to - being in the UK it will take ages to get something back.

Chip antenna i guess… My best bet is to factory reset, send the credentials and let it sit for a while.
Do you want me to use my hotspot or my proper wireless connection. I already tried sitting for connection last night - over an hour.

Best wishes.

James.

So it looks like the 5GHz and 2.4GHz might be the issue and i wonder how can you differentiate them?

I know its possible to use like 2 different SSID. Don’t think there’s a need to send back (and you can’t send back since it worked before :p)

Try another separate network you can find or figure out how to turn off the 5GHz or set another SSID for 2.4Ghz :wink:

1 Like

If I tick the 5GHz box and call it Apple5. It shows up on my IPhone as a different network SSID. So I think it is only communicating on the 2.4GHz band.

I had already taken it to work and tried it there - but still no joy.

Best wishes.

James.

Ohh… I’m sorry to hear that… guess the best bet would be to let it sit around for some time…

OK, So should I use spark setup wifi from my mac terminal?

Enter credentials and then let it sit?

Best wishes.

James.

1 Like

Just in case someone else has the same problem. This link fixed my problem of not getting the core to connect to my wifi. (Flashing Green).

All is well in the world.

Best wishes.

James.

2 Likes

Hi. Thanks for all the suggestions, but despite everything my Spark fails to get past the flashing green status. I have tried reflashing to the latest firmware from https://github.com/spark/cc3000-patch-programmer/tree/master/build, setting up via the iOS app and via USB (USB always seems to take, iOS app seems to work sometimes and not other times), changing router from auto/b/g/n to b/g only, tried WPA2, WPA, WEP and no security and no matter what I do it always sits at flashing green. It seems to take the wifi settings without problem, progressing from flashing blue to flashing green, but just doesn’t connect at all. It’s really frustrating.

All of the LED flashing patterns appear to be correct (so ref lashing the firmware shows the correct progression through purple etc.) so the firmware appears to be loaded and operating correctly.

I’ve tried two different routers (an EE Bright Box and an Apple Airport Express, using different SSIDs and security combinations) and still no success.

I’ve tried different power sources (laptop, iPhone charger and third party USB charger with 1A and 2.1A outputs) and always the same result.

It’s a chip antenna model.

At present this appears to be the most frustrating experience. I’d appreciate any further advice as at the moment, this is going to be a request for refund as non functioning device, which I don’t want to do!!

1. Set the mode to b/g

2. Check that the channel is 11 and below

3. Set security type to WPA

4. Make sure the router is in 2.4Ghz for the SSID you send

5. Factory reset and send Wifi credentials using the mobile app.

Allow it to sit for some time after it turns from blinking blue to flashing green

It’s usually a router setting issue since we have people who managed to connect at work but not at home etc :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Kenneth,

1. Mode is b/g
  2. Security set to WPA again (have tried before but figured I’d try again!)
  3. Channel confirmed as 5
  4. There doesn’t appear to be a 5GHz setting on the current router (there was on the Apple Airport but I’m using the ISP supplied router to test at the mo since the Apple one was failing too, I’ll switch back again shortly)
  5. Factory reset done and wireless setting resent via app

Still flashing green :frowning: and frustrated!

I will leave it overnight next to the router to see if it connects, but not looking promising so far.

Really, really want to get this working as have a couple of great ideas!

Thanks again,

Andrew

Hi Kenneth.

Still no joy, can’t get past flashing green. I left it overnight to see if it would connect, but with no success. I’ve tried again reflashing core firmware and the patch update from https://github.com/spark/cc3000-patch-programmer/tree/master/build all with no change. Again tried two different routers, no security, WEP, WPA and WPA2, AES and TKIP and auto cypher. Forced a channel of 3 and 6 (less than 11), forced b/g mode. Nothing gets it past flashing green.

I’m only left with the conclusion that there’s something wrong with my SparkCore! Can I get it swapped out to another?

Thanks,

Andrew

@teke will have to take over from here

1 Like

Hi there, @andrewgamlyn - please drop me a line at hello@spark.io (and refer to this thread). I’ll have one of our engineers comb this thread to make sure we’re not missing something, and get you a replacement issued, stat. @kennethlimcp, as always, thank you so much for your help!

1 Like

@andrewgamlyn. Did you try my suggestion above. I had exactly the same problem as you and like you tried everything. This did work. I appreciate the final update has still yet to be finished, but it worked for me.

If you haven’t installed it, I recommend the spark-cli ( https://github.com/spark/spark-cli ), and dfu-util ( http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/)

If you’re on windows you’ll need some drivers, but on Mac and linux they’re ready to go: https://community.spark.io/t/tutorial-installing-dfu-driver-on-windows/3518

Once that’s all going:

1.) connect your core via usb

2.) hold down both buttons and release the reset button, keep holding until your core flashes yellow

3.) update your factory reset version:
spark flash --factory tinker

4.) run the patch
spark flash --usb cc3000

5.) once your core stops flashing purple, and starts flashing yellow again, reload tinker
spark flash --usb tinker

6.) Plug your wifi credentials back in with:
spark setup wifi

8 Likes

Thanks @teke. I’ll try @foggy suggestion tonight and if that doesn’t work I’ll be back in touch. Hopefully it will work!

1 Like

@foggy you are truly awesome! Followed your instructions to the letter, and within 3 minutes I have breathing cyan and a working Spark. No messing around, it simply connected do my default Wifi network, no settings to change! Kudos to you for such a simple set of instructions and apologies to @teke and @kennethlimcp for making a mere suggestion that it was faulty!

The only thing I had to do that wasn’t mentioned was elevate my command prompt to install spark-cli but otherwise really straightforward.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Now that’s some Team Work! Thanks for coming to the rescue @foggy! Look forward to seeing you again @andrewgamlyn as you dive deeper in.

1 Like

Glad I could help. However the kudos goes to @Dave , for the instructions and coding the update.

Best wishes.

2 Likes

Wow, I went through everything above and finally got to @foggy’s comment. That was the only thing that worked! I went through full re-flash of factory firmware, applied the patch, setup over Android, over wifi, and was going crazy since my other core connected fine.

Thank you, thank you @foggy, I suggest that you put a post at the top of the list to check all the way at the bottom, FIRST!

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

When ever I’m trying to connect the core to the nearby wifi networks, it’s flashing only green colour,The router is beside my core but still not getting connected? I did reset for around 100 times and again repeated the process but still the same condition. What to do? Reply ASAP

You will need a cc3000 patch. Do you have the spark-cli or DFU-Util installed?

1 Like