Electron G350 connectivity (flash sequence)

All,

I have registered my sim
I have an Electron with G350 (2G). I have confirmed 2g signal close to my device using 2G phone.

I cannot get connected, and have the following flash sequence from boot:
white (1sec)
flashing green: about 40secs.
:loop
flashing cyan (4/sec):about 5-20 secs
flashing cyan (8/sec):5-7secs
flashing red(8/sec): 2-3secs
:goto loop

anyone any ideas

Can you try the steps in this post and possibly the following too
[solved] How to upgrade and setup my Beta Electron?

1 Like

@ScruffR,

OK, tried that, (as sequence below indicates), however - no go - now only green light flashing.

Incidentally, I have another identical electron, which I just unboxed. Also using G350 2G.
Also that just blinks green - have not yet followed the reflashing process on that one as I need a comparison.

I have an android phone sitting about 50cm away with a network search screen displayed, showing many operators, including the android sims “home” operator which is giffgaff, a UK MVNO for O2 (which i also assume is the operator above particle MVNO) in my area.
The android (kitkat) clearly displays the [Home] [2G] [GiffGaff] icons along with [2G] and [3G] for other operators, but obviously with the [no entry] icon.

Additionally, if I switch phone to WCDMA(Preferred)/GSM I also get the same/similar list with [2g] giffgaff as the phones “home”.

Any pointers? Perhaps Particle could jump-in so I could send my IMEI / sim / order details for better diagnostics.
Can I do anything useful from the CLI to help diagnose?

> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
> Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

> C:\Users\andys>dfu-util -l
> dfu-util 0.8

> Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
> Copyright 2010-2014 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
> This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

> Found DFU: [2b04:d00a] ver=0200, devnum=4, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=1, name="@DCT Flas
> h   /0x00000000/01*016Kg", serial="00000000010C"
> Found DFU: [2b04:d00a] ver=0200, devnum=4, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=0, name="@Internal
>  Flash   /0x08000000/03*016Ka,01*016Kg,01*064Kg,07*128Kg", serial="00000000010C"

> C:\Users\andys>particle update

> Your device is ready for a system update.
> This process should take about 30 seconds. Here goes!

> ! System firmware update successfully completed!

> Your device should now restart automatically.
> You may need to re-flash your application to the device.

> C:\Users\andys>particle flash --usb tinker
> running dfu-util -l
> Found DFU device 2b04:d00a
> checking file C:\Users\andys\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\particle-cli\binar
> ies\electron_tinker.bin
> spawning dfu-util -d 2b04:d00a -a 0 -i 0 -s 0x08080000:leave -D C:\Users\andys\A
> ppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\particle-cli\binaries\electron_tinker.bin
> dfu-util 0.8

> Opening DFU capable USB device...
> ID 2b04:d00a
> Run-time device DFU version 011a
> Claiming USB DFU Interface...
> Setting Alternate Setting #0 ...
> Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
> dfuIDLE, continuing
> DFU mode device DFU version 011a
> Device returned transfer size 4096
> DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash   "
> Downloading to address = 0x08080000, size = 5776
> Download        [=========================] 100%         5776 bytes
> Download done.
> File downloaded successfully
> Invalid DFU suffix signature
> A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!

> Flash success!

> C:\Users\andys>particle keys server
> running dfu-util -l
> Found DFU device 2b04:d00a
> checking file C:\Users\andys\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\particle-cli\keys\
> ec.pub.der
> spawning dfu-util -d 2b04:d00a -a 1 -i 0 -s 3298 -D C:\Users\andys\AppData\Roami
> ng\npm\node_modules\particle-cli\keys\ec.pub.der
> dfu-util 0.8

> Setting Alternate Setting #1 ...
> dfuIDLE, continuing
> DfuSe interface name: "DCT Flash   "
> Downloading to address = 0x00000ce2, size = 320
> Download        [=========================] 100%          320 bytes
> Download done.
> Okay!  New keys in place, your device will not restart.

> C:\Program Files (x86)\Particle\DFU>dfu-util -d 2b04:d00a -a 1 -s 3298 -D ./serv er-public-key.udp.particle.io.der
> dfu-util 0.8

> Setting Alternate Setting #1 ...
> dfuIDLE, continuing
> DfuSe interface name: "DCT Flash   "
> Downloading to address = 0x00000ce2, size = 320
> Download        [=========================] 100%          320 bytes
> Download done.

> C:\Program Files (x86)\Particle\DFU>

Did you get it working? I am having the same trouble, also in the UK.

Nope - not yet - just rapid green flashing.
Also used 50% monthly data allowance in 12hrs, even though no devices found in dashboard, so switched off,
(I have had occasional rapid cyan flashing, but they always end in a rapid red flashing and cycle repeats).

Think we need to just be patient and wait for the busy guys to find a solution.

I’ve also got the Electron 2G-G350 and mine just blinks blue after a cold restart. I am based in the UK too.
When I first plugged it in it did the flashing green and then went red, however I haven’t seen it flash green ever since!
Not sure what to do now :frowning:

@laughlinez @wdj @the_fellowship Hey all! Sorry to hear you’re having connection issues… let’s see if we can get you sorted out. Please read through these steps and make sure everything sounds like it should be working:
https://docs.particle.io/support/troubleshooting/common-issues/electron/

If you have a beta electron check out these steps: [solved] How to upgrade and setup my Beta Electron?

If you have a production electron, and have activated your SIM and get CYAN blinking with RED blips, you are connected to the cellular network but unable to gain a connection to the internet. It could indicate an issue with the SIM data usage (see if you got an email that your SIM is paused or deactivated. Check the dashboard as well) although usually if that is the case you will still be blinking Green, not Cyan.

If you’ve read and tried all of the above, we can certainly dive deeper. It will be best to write into support so we can track the issues better and get your information. Check out this link for how to contact us about your electron: https://docs.particle.io/support/troubleshooting/common-issues/electron/#11-contact-particle

Thanks @BDub I have tried all the various trouble shooting steps in the community forum and on the website, still stuck.
I have a support request open - 28479

can you see if you are getting any requests reaching your server? Trying to work out if it’s being blocked at the mobile gateway. I will try my iPhone SiM later, in case it’s a network problem.
I am in the UK.

@BDub, Thanks for joining this thread.

First some facts:

1. I am a Kickstarter purchaser. So all my electrons are “Production”.
  2. I am based in the UK in a semi-rural location (managed to escape the london hubub).
  3. We have both 2G and 3G services, O2 (telefinca) operate 2G in my area. My own mobile is via an O2 MNVO called GIFFGAFF and I can see a good 5 bar reception mostly.

Now for specifics:

1. I have 3 Electron 2G G350 modules.
  2. I have unboxed 2 to date and registered both their sims.
  3. Although I got an activation email for both sims, the Web UI did post a small red error panel stating there was an error during activation, however is disappeared quickly and my email arrived almost as the error panel faded, so I have assumed all SIMS registered ok.
  4. My dashboard shows BOTH sims.
  5. Annoyingly, 1 SIM shows I have used nearly 0.8MB in 36hrs.

What I have done.

1. Firstly it took many hours for my electron to move from the constant green flashing.
  2. Its then did the fast cyan to red cycle - but never slow breathing. Thats when i contacted this forum.
  3. Yesterday I followed the beta electron thread, and used dfu to reflash and redo pub keys and udp keys etc on the first electron - the second one I have left stock. The first we will call electron A, and the stock one Electron B.

Currently:

1. Thismorning, Electron A & B are having identical behaviour as follows:
  2. Boot - > white breath.
  3. flashing green for about 40secs.
  4. flashing cyan for 20secs which doubles in speed for about 10secs, then same rapid speed red flashed for a second or so, and back to fast cycan.

X. Still no connecion…

I have both Linux and Windows hosts to use for diagnosis. I am a linux user myself, but have initially used Windows 7 x64 because thats what it seems most users here are using, so node and dfu are windows.

To clarify:
I dont thing the flashing process I followed with Electron A had much effect because BOTH are showing the same repeated patterns thismorning.

My main concern at this point is the ever increasing data usage I can see reported in the dashboard, with no actual service provided. I am sure we can resolve that once we determine what any issues may be.

Finally - please see my prior post regarding the DFU flashing process i used for Electron A, I do want to make sure that was ok.

Ready and waiting to help you out :smile:

@the-fellowship,

Check your SIM is inserted in the Electron correctly. Your specific problem is different to mine (in this thread). Make sure your antenna is connected properly. your electron has reverted to “listening” which means it cannot connect to a tower. Normally a SIM issue if i read things correctly.
Note: My thread is for the a G350 2G model electron, so if yours is a 3G you may want to start another thread specifically for 3G devices. If 2G G350 , then feel free to tag along.

@wdj,

Go to your dashboard, check your sim data usage (last icon on left).
If data then there is some kind of connectivity. If no devices listed then you have a connectivity problem like mine i expect.
If no fast cyan or data in dashboard then perhaps you have not yet go so far as the device attempting to contact particle.

Mine is a 2G version. I’ve just tried holding down the SIM card while resetting and now I see flashing green light, so maybe the SIM card holder is faulty? Even whilst holding down the SIM card it never goes to breathing cyan, just stays on flashing green. I’ve sent a message to Particle.

@the_fellowship, in my experience these connectors can be a little tricky. Take your sim out carefully and check that the 6 pins have been “scratched” by the connector. You normally see a slight “trace” where they have connected. Clean your sim and the 6 connectors carefully incase any oxidation deposits are present.
I dont advice directly, but the 6 pins can be “lifted” slightly with a little tweaser to increase the pressure. like i say - you would need to seek advice from support as this is really not recommended.

OK, quick update and i am calling it a day…for now.

I am assuming fast cyan means that we are at a protocol negotiation phase - perhaps trying to communicate with particle.io servers, but I know nothing about my device - yet!

I came across the github for particle CLI, this was interesting in that it has a better description of the CLI commands.

I went into LISTEN mode and issued:
particle serial identify
to get my device details (useful for support) - and also what i expect to see in dashboard when all resolved.

Then into DFU mode and issued:
particle keys doctor
(i am in windows, not linux, so you have to run this in an “elevanted” prompt, rather than sudo otherwise ssl will complain). I may revert to linux for better troubleshooting.

Anyhow - this generated me a clean keyset and sent my pub key to particle servers.
I also did a particle keys send _ec_new.pub.pem
this also confirmed the pub key was sent - even though it was sent in prev command…

My device rebooted and very quickly went to rapid cyan…after about 10 secs it then reverted to what I can only describe as 3 seconds of breathing orange (perhaps only 3 flashes), then back to green flashing.
It continues to loop round like this, but often than not stays flashing cyan for a lot longer then before.

It continues to EAT data (as seen in dashboard) so I am disconnecting until I get a more specific steer from Particle support.

BTW: Particle:
I did look at “particle keys address” and “particle keys protocol”
(my idea was to switch to tcp incase udp fragmentation of registration was an issue).
anyhow - i noticed that when you switch to tcp, the server protocol changes, but the address address stays as $id.udp.particle.io:, so tcp:$id.udp.particle.io. (note: the UDP)

anyhow, i switched back just in case, and also noticed that to move to tcp, i would perhaps have to review the server keys in any case.

Hoping we can resolve this…

if anyone else has a “Production” 2G Electron in UK with success connecting, please let us know so that we know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I have the same problem. Have tried all the same things. Might try my iPhone sim later, but that looks complicated as you have to specify APN etc.
Be interesting to see who else in UK has the problem.

I also am based in the UK, Kickstarter backer, and have exactly the same problem with my Electron G350. There is good GSM coverage where I live in London so I don’t believe that is the issue. Like others I’ve spent the last few days ploughing through the various suggestions - including resetting keys etc. I’m also very concerned that my data usage for the month is almost exhausted given that I’ve effectively had no service of any practical use. Hope a fix can be found quickly - and, ideally, the data allowance re-set once it has been fixed.

1 Like

@Markucu,
OK, in a way this is sorta comforting (that you also have same problem).
At least its consistent so far - everyone here in UK with 2G Electron is in same boat so far as I know.
Would still love to hear from a “Production Kickstarter UK” with 2G that is connected - beta testers not relevant as I expect hardware (& software) may be subtly different.

OK Particle - I think you have enough people in this thread to get a “handle” on this issue - even if it is user error we are missing some subtle documented process perhaps!.

I am happy to be a guinea-pig (and am lucky enough to be working from home next week) - so can help.

I also think it goes without saying that until this issue is resolved in a generic way (assuming its a widespread issue) that our data allowance is reset (once resolved) , as my 1MB is almost gone now anyhow…:frowning:

As is the UK motto - “Keeping Calm and Carrying on” :wink:

1 Like

update: I have now managed to get a breathing cyan led :slight_smile:
As I suspected the SIM card holder seemed to be at fault. I tried a few other working 2G sim cards but all resulted with the same flashing blue led (listening mode). I then tried pressing down on the SIM card whilst pressing reset and managed to get a green flashing led followed by flashing cyan and ultimately a breathing cyan led. So it seems the SIM card wasn’t being held in place correctly i.e. the SIM card felt a bit loose when in the holder. As a workaround I took out the SIM card and pressed down on the SIM holder (metal strip) in order to create a tighter fit when inserting the SIM card. This seems to have done the trick, albeit it a bit of a hack! Not sure how long the hack will last but it will have to do for now.

Hey all! Glad to see one of you getting things working. For the other two that have submitted tickets, please hang in there until Monday when support will surely be back to resolving tickets.

Important Note: if you have blinking cyan with red or orange blips for more than a few minutes, please disconnect power from your electron between research and attempting fixes, to conserve data.