[SOLVED] Issues with getting started, claiming problems

Ok guys I have a positive, see the picture! :smile:

The problem was the core program of this version and of course the stupid guy (me) that could not find a head or tail at the information provided, it is to scattered. And yes I saw huge efforts to put this in line at one location. This is a mixed community (linux/windows). For me as a Windows user I was confused whith information that looks like linux but could be used in the same manner in the CLI as in Linux. Tarballs and links to these stuff are useless for me. For example it was not clear to me where I could download a binary for Windows of the DFU tool despite the links provided, as a Windows user I do not want to compile my binary with GNU or other tools. I downloaded a version form https://community.spark.io/t/latest-2014-dfu-util-for-windows-compiled/5264. Later on I saw the link Dave provided. However on the linked sites provided again it is difficult to determine what you have to pick. Yes it is all about reading, reading and reading.

A second problem was that I ran into a bad USB Lib driver now. Thanks for the warning to check this! In one way or another this driver was damaged by whatever, it had a yellow exclamation sign. I deleted this driver. I put the Spark in DFU mode and Windows wanted to install de DFU usb driver which wasn’t on my computer anymore due to my deletion. I installed a new driver with Zadig but strange enough I saw a combined driver (USB for Spark and Arduino) in Zadig. So what has happend? This driver wasn’t present the first time I started Zadig. After a warm boot of Windows and starting Zadig I saw the DFU UTIL driver. Then got the DFU-util.exe and after that the CLI steps from Dave did it.

I think that my earlier attempts left an in between situation on my computer and did not help all other attempts to get it flashed.

I am very happy that you Guys helped me. :smile:

You all restored my confidence in this Spark device.

7 Likes

Happy to hear that and thanks for not giving up on it - despite all initial difficulties :+1:

This is what makes this community so great - if you ask, people will jump to your help.

5 Likes

Hey @Marcel I’m glad to hear you got everything working in the end. I’m going to mark the post as “Solved”, and think it will be a great resource for users going forward. I’m taking notes about changes we can make to our documentation that would have helped you arrive at the solution sooner. Thanks for sticking with it!