Photon Installation - Windows 10 Driver - Other Driver Category Not Shown

hey joshua,

I believe that what you’re saying is correct.
Currently, we have only been able to setup a device with windows 10 using:
particle serial wifi
and getting the deviceID in advance to issue:
````particle device add deviceID``` once you’ve added the wifi credentials to it using the first step.

-Corey

Has anyone been able to get the photon working in Windows 10? I’ve tried everything listed above with no luck. In DFU mode it shows up under Other Devices. In listening mode I see it under Serial ports after I force the driver to install as a legacy device but I get an error 10 stating the device is not working correctly.

I also had the same problem with my windows 10 system and my photon;
as @smogs posted above, did the same to get my photon to appear.
after my photon was visible it worked fine.

Yes, I’ve got USB Serial for Core, Photon and Electron connected to Windows 10.

Once you find the device under “Other Devices” or “Ports” in DevMgr, you’ll need to update drivers by selecting driver (as shown in the docs)
https://docs.particle.io/guide/getting-started/connect/photon/#using-windows

Using these drivers
https://s3.amazonaws.com/spark-website/Particle.zip

3 Likes

And what do you do if it does not show up under “Other Devices” or “Ports”?

I changed USB cable and now it works. Thanks you guys.

I’m really disappointed and frustrated with using the Particle Photon on Windows 10. I’m trying to write a program in which I need to get sample values from the Photon over a serial connection, but I can’t even get the Photon driver installed. When I plug the photon in to my laptop’s USB port, I get a message “USB device not recognized. The last USB device you connected has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it” I have tried using several different cables (all of which work perfectly with other USB devices) and had one success using a USB 2.0 hub between the Photon and my computer. However that was short-lived as the error re-surfaced the first time I re-flashed my Photon while working on my project. After that I have not been able to get it working after multiple tries. After I get the message, I see the connected Photon listed only as an Unkown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed), and I cannot update the driver for it or do anything to make it work as a port.

Have you got any chance to check if it’s a Win 10 or a hardware issue, like dual boot or another computer Win 7/8.1/Linux and try there.

I’ve seen a post where a user used zadig to install the UsbSer driver.

Try uninstalling the previously installed Particle Serial drivers as outlined here

Did you follow these steps?
https://docs.particle.io/guide/getting-started/connect/photon/#installing-the-particle-driver

I have the same problem on all my 3 photon boards. It recognize the hardware, but having problem creating a Comm port on windows 10. I will try to install the new driver tonight the one from ScruffR above…