Photon Constantly Blinking White

Hey guys, after a recently doing work with a servo motor, my Photon isn’t working. I was just using a regular servo motor when somewhere on the Photon started getting really hot. The RGB is always blinking white and occasionally red. I can’t reset the Wifi credentials, and putting it into safe mode doesn’t do anything either…

-Jack

@JackD12, how did you power the servo?

@peekay123

With the battery from the Electron

@JackD12, can you describe your wiring?

@peekay123

Well the Photon was powered with the Vin pin and the GND pin next to it. The Photon was using D0 as the signal and it was powered from the 3v3 pin and the GND pin next to it. I was also just using the example code from the forum.

What was powered from the 3v3 pin? If it was the servo then you may have drawn too much current from the regulator and damaged it. This would explain the "really hot" part and the other problems. If you have a good 3.3v supply, try powering the Photon with it via the 3V3 pin (without USB power) to see if it works. If it does, then most likely the onboard switching regulator is damaged.

@peekay123

I tried powering it via 3v3 and it works! Thanks a lot (I’m 12 and that was one of two Photons I got for Christmas and I didn’t want to tell them that I had broken one already :joy: )! Thanks again!

-Jack

1 Like

@JackD12, you are not the first to have this problem. Another user found a replacement regulator on eBay and was able to replace it. Just remember: you have to fail to succeed! :wink: