GAAJHHH, I hate these one-way-or-no-way cloud-crap instructions

OK, so I go to the ‘get started’ and it dead ends at ‘go get the app’. So apparently I have to install some stupid app on my phone to configure a third party device - for some reason, god knows why. So I get the app, create a stupid account. NO BORON OPTIONS. Core, photon, electron, NO BORON.

So what the 2$#%^#$^& am I supposed to do next to get this thing working since your ‘instructions’ told me to get this stupid app that doesn’t seem to have an option for my damned device?!?

I heard that if you cuss a little bit more and get a little bit angrier it should start showing the options for Boron!

Just kidding.

Somebody else will be by here in a short period of time with a real solution :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I'm not sure why the Particle app wouldn't show an option for Boron (it does for me on both Android and iOS). Regardless, I'd suggest searching the forum a little bit and think you'll find quite a few solutions here already. From your profile, I see you've read only one post so far. There's a wealth of information here.

You do not have to use the App to set up a new Boron. You will find solutions here on how to exit "listening mode" which is blinking blue. You'll also find solutions for configuring the Boron with the Particle CLI. I for one do not use the Particle cloud at all, nor do I use the app with my Borons. That's your decision whether you want to use them.

There is also code you can flash that will set the Setup Done flag to prevent the device from entering listening mode on startup.

You can always flash your own code by entering DFU mode and flashing from Workbench / VS Code.

Take a look around the forum and then I'm sure you'll be full of questions that members here are very happy to answer for you.

3 Likes

It appears the app has tunnelling support over ethernet, but doesn’t present that option until ‘after’ you pass the select item screen. I have now gone to my phone rather than my tablet (which is connected through my phone at the moment) and I have had to restart the pairing process at least 12 times now.
The lack of alternative methods to set these things up REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY SUCKS!!!

The latest hold up is that it is telling me to go to your website and add a credit card which I did well over a god damned hour again but it still won’t go past that screen. I have to have the boron near a window to get a cell signal here and it is starting to seriously screw with my back having to lean over there with the damn phone to take a picture of the teensy weensy little qr code every time I have to restart this process!

At the moment, it’s sitting and spinning trying to pair and has been that way for over 20 minutes

If you read my above post, you’d see there are alternative methods. Once you’ve looked into what I posted you’ll be able to complete the setup and flash your code without any cloud or network connection.

2 Likes

One other thing I would like to point out is that most of the people, including me, on this message board are not affiliated with Particle. They have an official support channel listed on their website.

2 Likes

I have tried adding a device. I have added every number printed on the boron and none of them work to add the device

I don’t care what service I need. I was interested in checking out the ‘recommended’ method but the ‘recommended’ method doesn’t appear to work for shit. I understand you guys aren’t affiliated with particle, but if their ‘one’ method is fraught with this many headaches, they really need to offer ‘affiliated’ particle support. This thing sucks so far and falls far short of the promises on their website if it’s this much of a royal pain in the ass to set up using their published methods.
I had an easier time setting up my AT&T LTE device and their support is entirely non-existent (it took me 4 weeks this most recent time just to get them to ‘acknowledge’ an order for a new sim card after they arbitrarily cancelled my old one)

I see they have a help page that tells you how to get the imei using the particle cli - BUT LO AND BEHOLD, NOT A PEEP ABOUT HOW THE i*^*&^% YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO GET THIS CLI!!!

Can you upload a video of what is happening?

This stuff works really well for me personally.

We’re here to help but we need more info about what you have going on over there.

Just take a chill pill and you should be good in a short period of time.

1 Like

wow, their install scripts arbitrarily ask for root access without telling you what they are actually doing with it. BAD practice.

right now there’s not much to show. If I try to pair with the particle app, it either has a hard time finding the device and just sits there spinning, or it tells me that I have to add a credit card to the billing screen and won’t stop telling me that. (I have now had my credit card on the billing screen for close to 3 hours)

lol un-f;jkin believable. It installs in $HOME/bin without bothering to check if that folder is in your path. BRILLIANT!

What device are you running the setup app on?

Do you have another device you can try the Particle Setup App with?

I’ve successfully setup 2 Borons, 3 Argons, and 8 Xenons using the App on a Apple iPad and Samsung Note 9. The process went most smoothly on the iPad.

1 Like

I’m running it on my samsung note 5. I tried it on my samsung tab, but as I already mentioned, it didn’t give me an option to add a boron

uuuuuuuuuuuuuun believable…

swood@foundry:~$ bin/particle identify
Serial err: Error: Error: Device or resource busy, cannot open /dev/ttyACM0
Serial problems, please reconnect the device.
Serial problems, please reconnect the device.
swood@foundry:~$ ls -l /dev/ttyACM0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 Jun 28 18:51 /dev/ttyACM0
swood@foundry:~$ groups swood
swood : swood adm dialout cdrom sudo dip www-data video plugdev lpadmin sambashare vboxusers kvm
swood@foundry:~$ bin/particle identify
Serial timed out
swood@foundry:~$

This thing works fantastical!!!

You haven’t read the documentation at docs.particle.io then. Borons have to be either in listening mode or DFU mode depending on what you want to do with them with the CLI, including ‘particle identify’

1 Like

He refuses to take a Chill Pill.

1 Like

I tried it raw and with holding the button down until it blinked blue - same result.

OH yay, now it’s not letting most post anymore.

I got it to finally output the device id, imei and iccid and guess what - NONE OF THEM WORK TO ADD THE DEVICE!!! Un-fucking believable

“Bummer! No devices were added to your product. Please double check the device IDs are correct and try again.”

I’m about 2 minutes away from the point of boxing the whole thing up, taking a dump in the box and shipping it back with the message “thanks, but no thanks, I’m returning the favor with the ‘added package weight’, no extra charge”

Reread my above post. It explains how to exit listening mode and set the ‘Setup Done’ flag. This is my last reply in this thread. You do not seem to be interested in helping yourself.

5 Likes