Flashing Boron over USB fails

Hi,
I used to be able to flash Borons over USB without issue, but now get an error. Here's what I command in the Windows 10 Command window using the CLI, and the resulting error. I get the same issue if I try flashing from Workbench in VS Code.

CLI:
particle flash --usb tinker
Flashing boron device e00fce68eedc3c3f17f89017
[█████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░] 35% | Flash failed.
Writing over DFU failed: Error during special DfuSe command ERASE_SECTOR:UsbStallError: OUT control transfer failed

VS Code (error for different binary but same issue)
:::: STARTING FLASH

Flashing boron e00fce68eedc3c3f17f89017
[██████████████████░░░░░░░] 70% | Flash failed.
Writing over DFU failed: Error during DfuSe download: UsbStallError: OUT control transfer failed
make[1]: *** [C:\Users\astro.particle\toolchains\buildscripts\1.15.0\Makefile:167: flash-app] Error 1
make: *** [C:\Users\astro.particle\toolchains\buildscripts\1.15.0\Makefile:111: flash-user] Error 2

• The terminal process "C:\Users\astro.particle\toolchains\buildtools\1.1.1\bin\bash.exe '-c', 'make -f 'C:\Users\astro.particle\toolchains\buildscripts\1.15.0\Makefile' flash-user -s'" terminated with exit code: 2.
  • Press any key to close the terminal.

Also, once that happens, sometimes the Boron appears to be bricked, or at least, when I reset power, it goes briefly to flashing green then gets stuck breathing blue/red. So I can't flash it over the air either, and can't flash it over USB -> can't use it anymore.

Hi, can you try device restore to see if you get your device back?

Hi GusGonnet, I've tried the Restore and that does not work. The Boron gets stuck in yellow blinking (DFU) mode. When I try to use the Restore, when I click Flash Device, it tries for about 5 seconds then an error message comes up "DFU flashing failed". I tried multiple times, and with multiple different Borons.
If I then try "particle update -v" in the CLI, I get no response at all

(see attached screen shot). I even tried uninstalling and re-installing the CLI (including the drivers) - no difference.

I have another PC here where this all works correctly. It is a Windows 10 PC, whereas the PC with the above issues is a Windows 11 PC, fwiw.

Maybe @Support can help here?
Thanks

Your symptoms are unusual.

Error during special DfuSe command ERASE_SECTOR:UsbStallError: OUT control transfer failed

This often is caused by a hardware failure, but not always.

Also, once that happens, sometimes the Boron appears to be bricked, or at least, when I reset power, it goes briefly to flashing green then gets stuck breathing blue/red.

Breathing magenta (red and blue at the same time) is safe mode. Your firmware is not running, but you should be able to flash the device OTA.

If you're able to flash the device from a different computer, it's probably a device driver issue. This page says its for Windows 10, but it also applies to Windows 11. It's tricky to fix, but it is possible.

If you're not able to flash the device from another computer, OTA, or DFU, then it probably is a hardware failure.

3 Likes