etherSIM compatibility and availability

Hi All,

I heard about EtherSIM yesterday and its free for up to 100 devices, so is this available now to use in Europe ? and is it compatible to use with particle electron?

Many Thanks
Maj

1 Like

There are two parts to this. The EtherSIM is available on certain models right now in the Particle online store, with more to come soon. This has additional carriers in many countries, among other features.

However the Free Tier is available on all devices, including those that were previously released, both cellular and Wi-Fi.

2 Likes

Thanks @rickkas7 , how can i switch to Free Tier? i have around 25 particle electron using particle simcard and i would like to see if possible to use this free option.

thank you

Hi, I think you might have been automatically migrated to this new free tier and you should have received an email from particle with that info. If not, contact them on their support line (open a support ticket).
Best

1 Like

That will be great, Thanks @gusgonnet

oh I just remembered, what if you go on your side and hit:
Particle Console | Build your connected product

I think the console/billing section will show you your plan.
cheers

1 Like

usage_1

great

1 Like

If I’m satisfied with the old Boron internal SIM and it is working in my area, what would be the advantages of moving to the EtherSIM?

Is the upgrade path a physical SIM or can the internal SIM be changed to an EhterSIM?

What will the cost be for an EtherSIM?

As I understand the Free Tier, it works the same with the old SIM and the EtherSIM, correct?

If I’m satisfied with the old Boron internal SIM and it is working in my area, what would be the advantages of moving to the EtherSIM?

In the Boron, the only reason you'd want to upgrade is if you are are in a country where there are additional mobile carriers you want to use. This mostly affects Europe, and has little effect in the United States.

(Technically, if you have a Boron 2G/3G BRN310 you will get AT&T briefly with an EtherSIM, until AT&T shuts off their 3G service, which will be happening soon.)

Is the upgrade path a physical SIM or can the internal SIM be changed to an EhterSIM?

The Boron can upgrade via a 4FF plastic SIM card inserted in the SIM card socket and the SIM switched in software. If you buy a new Boron (BRN314 or BRN414), it has a different SMD MFF2 SIM card on the device itself. There's no upgrade path for updating old the MFF2 SIM as it's not reprogrammable and soldered to the device.

What will the cost be for an EtherSIM?

I don't have the price for the EtherSIM 4FF SIM card, however if you are outside the United States the shipping cost will likely also be a factor.

As I understand the Free Tier, it works the same with the old SIM and the EtherSIM, correct?

Yes, the free tier is supported on both old SIMs and EtherSIMs.

1 Like

@rickkas7, I recently bought a Boron LTE BRN402KIT (as part of the old Particle Mesh Ultimate Bundle). As your comment above, I understand that BRN402KIT uses the old MFF2 SIM and cannot be upgraded, and also that the EtherSIM SIM card will only be of use in the BRN402KIT for additional mobile carriers if available.

Is the EtherSIM 4FF SIM card available at all? I couldn’t locate it in Particle website.

Please share a link as to how I may be able to obtain an EtherSIM 4FF SIM card, if one is available.

Thanks!

The EtherSIM 4FF plastic SIM card is not available in the Particle retail store at this time.

It is in the Particle wholesale store, SIMBLANK_V2 (single) and SIMBLANK_V2_50 (pack of 50).

Wonderful! Thank you.

@rickkas7 I have a BRN402 and a BRN404. You say “little effect in the United States” So cellular performance is the same in the United States?

Thank you

I have a BRN402 and a BRN404. You say “little effect in the United States” So cellular performance is the same in the United States?

In the United States, the BRN402 only used AT&T LTE Cat M1.

The BRN404 (EtherSIM) also uses AT&T LTE Cat M1, however it can also use T-Mobile LTE Cat M1. Originally, T-Mobile only officially announced support for LTE Cat NB1, which is different and not supported by the Boron. However, T-Mobile has quietly been turning on LTE Cat M1 all over the United States. If you are in an area with T-Mobile LTE Cat M1, the BRN404 can connect to either AT&T or T-Mobile.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the reply and explanation.