Connection to Photon [SOLVED]

I am using android particle software to connect the photon

I can connect with the Wifi but at the last step, which is the verifying ownership part, It said setup process coudlnt claim your photon,and the LED is breathing cyan, can anyone help ?

Many Thanks

If it’s breathing cyan that’s a good sign :wink:
If you have CLI installed try particle list to see if it’s claimd despite the error - if not, claim it with CLI.
If you haven’t go to https://build.particle.io and see if it’s claimd - if not you can do it there as well (after you found your DeviceID)

How to do the above can be found in the Getting Started docs

I have tried to connect in CLI, but it shows Photon hasn’t made it to the cloud yet.

I also tried the particle serial identify function, but it said serial timed out

Was it in listening mode when you tried to do that?

it is flashing cyan, and i followed the instruction in the guide, which try to use the particle serial identify, but it said time out

Would mind linking to the guide where it doesn’t mention listening mode?
I found this:

Give that a try and let us know if that worked :slight_smile:

yes, i tried it at listening mode, in CLI, i used particle setup, sll the way to last, it shows cyan falshing, but the command said cannot connect to cloud, then i try to find the device id, which is to use particle serial identify in flashing cyan mode, but it said serial time out

If you want to use serial or particle serial identifiy your device is not allowed to blink/flash/breathe cyan but it has to be in listening mode blinking blue

What OS are you using?
If Windows, have you installed the serial drivers?

1 Like

That's because cyan is not blue. It's needs to be in blinking blue mode, not flashing cyan. In programmer-language:

If (BlinkingBlue){
  SerialWorks = true;
}
Else {
  SerialWorks = false;
  TimeOut();
}
2 Likes

Thanks, I can retrieve my device Id in blue state, however, when i tried to setup, go to the cyan state, then type in the device id in build website , it said could not claim the device

Thanks, I can retrieve my device Id in blue state, however, when i tried to setup, go to the cyan state, then type in the device id in build website , it said could not claim the device

and also, even i tried the normal way, which is to use particle setup and all the way to the last step, it still said cannot connect with the cloud

And also, may I ask whether the device ID has 24 digits ? and if the problem cannot be solved , will it be a replacement for a new one? thanks

@leslietsz sorry if this question is a repeat, I may have missed it earlier but when you go to claim the device on the website, is your device connected to WiFi or did you get a different error message when you tried to claim it such as “device not found” or “photon claimed by another person”?

IF you are connected to wifi, are you using your own personal wifi with no restrictions or things like http captures (the websites that make you login when you connect to the access point) or have a firewall active on the connection?

i used particle setup and all the way to the last step, it said cannot connect to the cloud, then it shows breathing cyan.
afterwards, i log in to build and type in the 24 digits device id, and it said cannot claim the device

@leslietsz Do you by chance have a smartphone that you can load up the photon app on your phone or tablet and try to claim the device that way?

If so download the photon app, set your photon in listening mode, and then follow the instructions below:

1. Open the app and login. Use your Particle account credentials.
  2. Click the “+” button to add your device. Follow the on-screen instructions.

let me know if this works for you.

I tried in android phone, but it failed at checking the device ownership, and said oops, cannot claim the device

and it just blank at cyan …omg what is going on with my photon…

@leslietsz I appreciate your patience with me while we get your photon to work. Do you know how to put your device into safe mode (magenta led)?

If not here are the steps below to try claiming the app in safe mode

1. First hold down both the SETUP and RESET buttons.
  2. Then while still holding down the SETUP button, release the RESET button.
  3. While still holding the SETUP button you should see your LED change to a magenta color.
  4. When you see your device change and stay magenta, release the setup button and the device will then boot into safe mode. Once it is done, you should see it flash or pulse magenta.
  5. With your device flashing magenta, press and hold the SETUP button till the device flashes blue.
  6. Once it is flashing blue, try to claim your photon from the app again.

If this doesn’t work there are other things we can try. hang in there we will get your photon working!