Claiming ownership of photon

So I’m having issues claiming ownership of my particle photon. I’m the 3rd person on this project, everyone else says they’ve never got it to connect so it’s fresh out of the box device.

I have the particle.io app on my phone which i was told is all I would need to add the device to my que of devices.

I follow the instructions verbatim: Ensure my wifi is activated, hold the button til the blue light flashes, look for photon xxxx in wifi connections, connect, return to app on my phone, choose a network to connect to, enter password for said network, pop up says : would you like to claim ownership of this device, yes, goes through the connection, light begins breathing cyan, additional light turns on, then my app says that I am unable to claim ownership of device. WTF am i doing wrong? Did i miss a step? I am in no way shape or form a software programmer and i am completely out of my element but my work put this on my to figure out so that’s what I am attempting to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What 'additional lights' would that be, and what is the main RGB LED doing?

The main rgb led is breathing cyan

The other light is right next to it. I don’t have it with me right now to get specifics.

Is it the blue LED next to D7 pin?
This should not be on while breathing cyan when this is an out the box device (but in that case you’d not even need to press SETUP to enter blue blinking Listening Mode)

If you know the device ID you can claim the device via https://build.particle.io too

Yes next to D7. I don’t know the device ID. How do you obtain that?

Device ID can be acquired via CLI (particle identify)
Or via any serial terminal program by sending i

both in Listening Mode.

I have tried everything listed. Every time it goes through the network connection and verifying credentials. When it gets to claiming ownership it refuses to allow me to. I’m wondering if there is any way to find out if this device is already being owned by someone? It doesn’t make any sense to me.

Can you post a screenshot of the message when https://build.particle.io refuses to add the device?
When youdo this the device needs to be breathing cyan (or better even breathing magenta in Safe Mode).

1 Like

It’s working now. I believe. If wifi is lost and returned, should my photon automatically reconnect? Is it possible to have it reconnect automatically? Do I need to write code to make it do so?