Commerical Electron low volumes

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but while working on our current Photon project it occurred to us we had a use case for something like the electron that would be better for us than fitting a GSM module ourselves and messing about with text messages, SIM cards and PAYG credit. However the only way to buy an electron seems to be a kit, I don’t see anyone selling it in any other form. Is the only way to get just the module to go the wholesale route or are there any plans to have the module on its own on the shop for low volume orders?
Failing that is there a UK seller who already buys and sells the base module (2G is probably fine) we haven’t spotted?

Hi there,

Those are all great questions. You are correct, the only way that you can purchase an Electron at the moment in low volumes is with the kits that you see on the store. The reasoning behind this is because the Electron needs a SIM card, antenna, and battery to operate. In the kit, the only extra things are the USB cable (which is handy to connect to your PC) and a breadboard, which again, is not necessary, but handy to have to prototype.

If you’re interested in buying in bulk, you can check out our wholesale store here and we do have tray options for larger orders. Just sign up and it usually takes a business day or 2 to confirm all the information and you’ll be good to go.

I’m not sure if there are any UK resellers who have the 2G Electrons, but you can check out the full list of our distributors here.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll be happy to help.

Kevin @ Particle

@kmmonk - As a hobbyist this policy is a little frustrating. I’d like to have around 5 or so Electrons but I really don’t need an additional 5 breadboards, USB cables, photoresistors, resistors, LEDs and (very nice) plastic boxes. From both a cost and environmental standpoint, it would be great to be able to order the Electron stripped of that stuff, keeping the essentials (Electron board, SIM, LiPo, Antenna.) Yes, Particle sells them wholesale but I am well below the 50 count minimum. On the other hand, I realize I’m probably not Particle’s target market. Regardless, one vote for a stripped option.

1 Like

I know this is an older thread but I’d like to add my vote. I’m starting a product and in the prototype stage. So, I send for PC Boards, then build then one (usually) and find issues then do another and so on. This’ll take 2-5 iterations and then do the cycle again every 2-3 months for a year or so. At each iteration it’s a real feature to solder the chip into the board permanently, since that mimics reality and I’m fitting to 3d printed enclosures for prototyping.

So, at each iteration I destroy an Electron that I need to replace. I don’t need another battery or antenna since they’re reusable.

-Mark

1 Like