Can't Claim Core [Solved]

I've replicated everything in the following thread and still cant claim my spark.

1. used Spark Core on my iPhone to get the core connected to the cloud, ie breathing cyan, but was unable to claim core.

2. did a hard reset of the chip till it blinked white, then blinked blue, and repeated step 1. same issue.

3. downloaded spark-cli, did another hard reset, ran the command spark setup, got the device connected to cloud but still couldnt claim the core as i got [ 'That belongs to someone else' ]

4. with the core breathing cyan and using both Chrome/Firefox logged into spark.io/login and tried claiming the core with failed message.

5. sent an email to hello@spark.io to help resolve.

Try out spark list just to see whether the core is already in your account? :wink:

$ spark list
Checking with the cloudā€¦
Retrieving coresā€¦ (this might take a few seconds)
No cores found.

Hi @sansoy

Normally this either means that the core really has been claimed by someone else or that your have two logins at Spark, one with a typo and one without, or two separate email addresses, etc.

Also you know that the numbers such as 48ff6aā€¦1387 are unique to each to core, right? If you have your coreā€™s number, then @Dave can help you. I know that hello@spark.io gets a backlog sometimes, so you may need to be patient.

1 Like

I reached out to hello@spark.io and they were quick to respond that the device id belongs to another email address. theyā€™ve sent notice to that email address and will get back to me.

but why is this device id mapped to another email address?

Iā€™ll post the result here and close the thread when successful.

1 Like

In most of cases, it happens just because wrong email entered on first turn on of core :smile:

2 Likes

@sansoy did you get your Core at a conference, or did you buy it second-hand through something like eBay?

nope. brand new kit from their website. still waiting to get it resolved. been 4 days now.

I bought my Spark thru their site about two weeks ago so how is it i have the physical Spark board with someone elseā€™s CORE ID?

someone explain this response from support to me:

ā€œI received a response from the current owner of the Core. He indicated that he has not given anyone permission to take over ownership of the Core, and that he believes he is the rightful owner. Can you please provide documentation of your purchase to help us with our investigation?ā€

Hey @will, will need your help to resolve this issue.

@sansoy, there might be some confusion over here and iā€™m sorry to hear that your out-of-the-box experience hasnā€™t been that awesome so far!

Will you be able to generate your core ID? If you are using the Serial Terminal, place the core in Listening mode (hold the MODE button for 4 seconds till it blinks blue)

Next would be to hit the ā€œiā€ button.

Just drop a message here if you face any issues. I have you on my radar. :smiley:

@kennethlimcp I have been providing support to @sansoy today. The Core ID that he provided was claimed by another customer. I reached out to the current owner of the Core, and he replied that he had not authorized any transfers or alternatives accounts to take ownership of the Core.

I asked the customer to provide documentation of the order he placed on our site (Order #) so that we could continue the investigation. This is not issue with malfunctioning hardware, and itā€™s currently being handled by Spark customer support.

@sansoy Iā€™ll check your support thread for a response now. Please note that it is currently 1:00AM in our time zone, and my ability to provide continued support tonight will be limited.

1 Like

@sansoy I checked on the thread in Tech Support, and it doesnā€™t appear that youā€™ve responded since my last response an hour and 45 minutes ago. If you provide us with additional documentation of your purchase (Order #), weā€™ll have the tools we need to continue the investigation and make sure the issue is resolved.

Thanks!

2 Likes

@will i responded at 10:10PM PT last night with 3 emails to tech support with Subject Line ā€œRequest # 12878ā€. Did you not get these?

Hereā€™s all the information, which i have just forwarded email attachments.

ORDER# ###########
INVOICE#: ####
USPS TRACKING# ########################

@kennethlimcp here is my core ID

$ spark identify
Your core id is: #####################

$ spark core add ######################
Claiming core ########################
Failed to claim core, server said [ ā€˜That belongs to someone elseā€™ ]
Potentially unhandled rejection [1] {ā€œokā€:false,ā€œerrorsā€:[ā€œThat belongs to someone elseā€]} (WARNING: non-Error used)

@sansoy I see them now. Because they were submitted under a new thread, instead of as a response to the existing one, I didnā€™t see your response in the location I anticipated. Weā€™ve got the proof of order now, and are continuing the investigation today. Youā€™ll hear back from a member of our Cloud team with more instruction, as we figure out what went wrong here. Weā€™ll get you resolved and patched up ASAP. Thanks for your patience.

RESOLVED! Thanks to the Spark Core team. For some reason my CORE ID was claimed by another. He/She finally released it, which is why i was able to claim.

still wondering why I was sent a CORE claimed by someone else. :wink:

2 Likes