Boron stuck in DFU blinking yellow

Hello
today I made my mistake (I hope last of this year). I flash my code and after this Boron flashing red and blue.
I started with particle update putting the DFU-mode, but to no avail. Now after several attempts and research on the community site and having performed the procedure to put it in DFU it remains in this state. There is no way to put it in listening mode or any other mode. I also tried with particle flash --usb boron-system-part1@2.0.0.bin -v or with particle flash --usb boron-tinker@2.0.0.bin -v but to no avail.
Thanks Valentino

Do you mean magenta (combination of red and blue)?

When the device is stuck in DFU Mode it often indicates that either the device OS update has not finished successfully or you have no suitable application firmware on the device (e.g. corrupted by a previous flash attempt).

Instead of downloading the binaries and flashing them I'd first try the default way

particle flash --usb tinker -v
particle update -v
particle flash --usb tinker -v

In these three lines the -v stands for "verbose" and in order to assess the situation it would be good to investigate what the respective verbose logs tells you and if you cannot make sense of them you can always post them here :wink:

There might be also an alternative explanation for your device being stuck in DFU Mode, but for that we'd need to know more about the context.
e.g. when you power up the device what is happening before the final DFU Mode state? Are there any other (transient) colours to be observed? How long does it take to end up in that state? ...

A video showing the entire process (previous run, reset, boot-up, intermediate states, final error state) and potentially also tries to enter Safe or Listening Mode may also be helpful.

2 Likes

Hi @ScruffR the first time blink was :blink blue for few seconds and then blink red few seconds and begin with blue and so on.

• I therefore performed a particle update that after about 1 hr did not go in place continued blinking (magenta -red and blue at the same time)
  • At this point I put Boron in DFU Mode and tried the indicated sequence but to no avail.
    No possibility to enter Listening Mode (mode button).
  • It reacts with the Mode tap Reset sequence but then returns with blinking yellow.

This is the result after particle flash --usb tinker -v:
VError: Error writing firmware: Invalid DFU suffix signature
A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
Error during special command ā€œERASE_PAGEā€ get_status

If I power down and power up they go directly in yellow blinking.
Sorry how to attach the video?
Thanks Valentino

In that case it would be useful to record what exact red blinks are happening (e.g. SOS + x)

This doesn't appear to be a verbose output. With -v you should rather get something like this

dfu-util 0.8

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2014 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

Opening DFU capable USB device...
ID 2b04:d013
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting #0 ...
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 4096
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash   "
Downloading to address = 0x080a0000, size = 5324
Download        [=========================] 100%         5324 bytes
Download done.
File downloaded successfully
Invalid DFU suffix signature

Although the ERASE_PAGE seems problematic.
You can try to flash the bootloader binary via

particle flash --usb boron-bootloader@2.0.1.bin -v

To post a video you'd need to upload it to some other service (e.g. YouTube) and post a link to it.

BTW, it probably won't change a thing (as you probably don't have a factory image installed) but you can try the factory reset procedure

• press/hold MODE
  • tap RESET
  • hold till you get past yellow blinking into blinking white
  • release MODE

If neither of the above helps you will need to file a support ticket.

Hi @ScruffR
this is the link in dropbox :https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jjp1s68xut4cde4/AACLe-YQLIwSOww4IU63dGQna?dl=0

So I do the command
press/hold MODE

• tap RESET
  • hold till you get past yellow blinking into blinking white
  • release MODE
    but nothing

And this the full log :C:\Users\valentino>particle flash --usb tinker -v
dfu-util 0.8

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2014 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

Opening DFU capable USB deviceā€¦
ID 2b04:d00d
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Claiming USB DFU Interfaceā€¦
Setting Alternate Setting #0 ā€¦
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 4096
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash "
Downloading to address = 0x000d4000, size = 11412
Download [ ] 0% 0 bytesInvalid DFU suffix signature
Error writing firmware: Invalid DFU suffix signature

VError: Error writing firmware: Invalid DFU suffix signature

at C:\Users\valentino\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-cli\dist\cmd\flash.js:208:13
at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:97:5)
at async CLI.runCommand (C:\Users\valentino\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-cli\dist\app\cli.js:160:7)
at async CLI.run (C:\Users\valentino\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-cli\dist\app\cli.js:190:14)

caused by: Error: Invalid DFU suffix signature

at ensureError (C:\Users\valentino\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-cli\dist\lib\utilities.js:427:14)
at C:\Users\valentino\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-cli\dist\cmd\flash.js:208:24
at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:97:5)
at async CLI.runCommand (C:\Users\valentino\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-cli\dist\app\cli.js:160:7)
at async CLI.run (C:\Users\valentino\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-cli\dist\app\cli.js:190:14)

Buon Anno :clap:
Best Regards Valentino

Hell @ScruffR
do you think I need to open a support ticket or are there any possibilities for recovery?
Best Regards
Valentino

Iā€™d still open a support ticket, but maybe @rickkas7 has something else to suggest (in parallel).

Open a support ticket for sure. Error during special command ā€œERASE_PAGEā€ usually means the device cannot be erased, which is a hardware failure of the nRF52 internal flash memory, which would also match the symptoms.

1 Like

Good morning
I opened a support ticket. Thanks for your help, sometimes I tell myself you would have been able to complete all my projects?
I wish everyone a peaceful New Year.
Valentino

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.