Boron - Device ID is undefined

I have a fairly simple app that has been running for a few days now. I left it running to monitor the cloud overhead while it was idle (not sending any data via web hooks). Today I added a bit of code (using VS Code) to disconnect from the cloud when there was a long idle period. Two things were observed. First, VS code can’t find the device (for local flash) even though the serial port hasn’t changed and the Boron has continued to log heartbeat messages to the serial monitor. Second, when I use Particle identify I get the message “Your device id is undefined”. The Boron and the serial monitor and VS Code have all been running unchanged from a few days ago. The message from VS Code:

_dfu-util: No DFU capable USB device available
make[2]: *** [program-dfu] Error 74
make[1]: *** [modules/boron/user-part] Error 2
make: *** [flash-user] Error 2

… and yet the Boron continues to execute its application code and log info correctly to the same serial port. Why would a device that has been and remains operational have an undefined device ID? How can I get it back, but as importantly, why would VS Code (with Particle WB) now decide that it can’t find the device?

VS Code tries to flash via DFU Mode not via USB Serial.

From a previous post of yours I think to remember you are on Windows, right?
If so, you need to check in Device Manager whether your Boron is listed as DFU Device when it is blinking yellow.

Also check whether your device does respond correctly to the command particle usb dfu while it is running your code.
If not, put it in Safe Mode and try again.

1 Like

I worked for Microsoft for several years, but switched to a Mac several years ago :slightly_smiling_face:
The “particle usb dfu” worked. It put the device into dfu mode.
But when I flashed local, I still got the device not found message, but then it went ahead and tried to upload the code … But it failed.

Also. Particle identify gives me a “serial timed out” message.

I put it Safe mode and now particle identify works, but VS code still doesn’t seem to identify the device.

(UPDATE)
The device name seems to be different in different places (device, sim…). I’m sure this must be user-error. I tried different permutations and all is now well. I will spend some time making sure the names are specified the same everywhere.

Thanks again