Boron 404X not able to set up using particle app

Hello,

I recently ordered 3 Boron 404X and I was trying to claim the devices in my particle account using particle app, however every time it reaches “connecting to internet via cellular” I always get error message “Setup has encountered an error and cannot continue”, this is not just for one device but all the three. I tried to follow steps provided in the community like flashing using particle cli but no joy. I tried to go to website “part.cl/setup-boron404x” which is mentioned inside the box, but that site is no more.

I have setup previous versions of boron in my account but not the 404X.

Can someone please help me with this?

Thanks in advance
Antony

Hi Antony-

Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry that link isn’t working, I’ve reached out to the team responsible for it and it should be fixed soon. In the meantime, please try the USB setup tool and let me know what happens.

Thanks,
Colleen

Hi Colleen,

Thanks for the response.
I have tried USB setup tool in CDC mode and DFU mode as well but no response.

Thanks
Antony

Hi Antony-

Do you get any errors when using the setup tool? Can you use the Device Doctor and share the output with me?

Thanks,
Colleen

Hi Colleen,

I am getting nothing from this tool. After pressing connect it stays as it is.

After I put the boron in DFU mode I get the following message

Regards
Antony

Hi Colleen,

Any update on this issue?

Regards
Antony

Hi Antony-

Apologies for the delay. Please try the USB Restore tool and then attempt setup again. Also can you DM me the device ID?

Thanks,
Colleen

Hi Colleen,

It has been couple of weeks any solutions for this issue yet?

Regards
Antony

Hi Antony-

The team responsible for the app is working on it. In the meantime, the USB setup tool is the current recommended setup method.

Thanks,
Colleen

Hi Colleen,

I did the factory reset for all three devices and tried the setup tool again. It is still showing the same result, always showing DFU flashing failed. I have changed the USB cable, tried the setup tool on both chrome and edge it is always the same.
After it shows DFU flashing failed it shows the following window.

And the device is in DFU mode(blinking yellow) and it stays like this.
I am based in Ireland is it something to do with the cellular carrier in here because I bought an Argon and it connected to cloud straight away.
I had old boron modules which I had unclaimed from my account and then connected them again without any issues only the Boron 404X is not connecting.
However, I tried the setup tool on old boron modules, the DFU flashing failed for them too. But they can be connected to cloud without any issues.

Moreover, I updated the Boron using Particle CLI and from WEB tool following are the firmware information.

All the three are flashed with firmware version 4.0.2. But when trying to connect to cloud it stops at “connection to cloud via cellular” and throws an error message.

Could you please find any alternative solution ASAP since this is an urgent requirement it has been weeks with this unresolved issue.

Regards
Antony

I am having the same issue with Boron 404X, I’ve tried 4 and can’t get any of them to connect to the cloud. Just flashing green. I used the process here to try to get it setup with no success:

Support & Troubleshooting | Troubleshooting | Particle,

I know not to use the app, so I’m not sure what’s going on. I’m based in Tennessee, USA

I am having the same issue and tried to set it up the same as you but can’t get past the blinking green light. I am in northern Indiana. Wounder if there is an outage or something.

For me it wont work with android app but was able to pair with iphone/ ipad app and once it paired with cloud it shows on android.

I will have to try an iphone with the next one I get. I was finally able to get it to sync up, took a good 12 hours for it to go from flashing green to blue so I could register it. I finally got it. Not sure what happened.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.