Boron 404x gets stuck in blinking green after short power cycles

I've noticed that sometimes after a short power cycle (5-10 s) our Borons will get stuck blinking green forever. If they are given another short power cycle they reliably go through the normal LED sequence and connect.

Could the "stuck blinking green" issue be a cell network issue and is there a recommended time we should wait after power is cut to the Boron before trying to connect again? We are shoehorning this into an existing product and doing a graceful shutdown is not possible - our product is turned off by unplugging the battery from it. The only simple solution I see is making the Boron wait to connect to the cell network in software on power up.

To summarize:

1. Is it true that randomly disconnecting a Boron's power then reapplying it too soon can cause it to fail to connect to the cell network
  2. What is the shortest possible interval between a random power cut and connecting back to the internet that will be reliable?

@jalbersr - can you look into this please?

1 Like

Hi @nickB!

I'm Alberto, from the technical account manager team. LED blinking green tells about connection issues but the reset timing issue associated is weird. I will try to troubleshoot your issue and reproduce it here to see if it's something we missed out on.

Please: tell me more about your device:

• It is a LTE Cat-M1 or a 2G/3G version?
  • Do you know what version of device OS are you using?
  • When you say battery, is an external battery connected to another board that then supplies power to the boron, right?
  • Do you have a battery connected directly to your boron?
  1. It is the LTE Cat-M1
  2. 4.1.0
  3. I mean the battery of the larger device that we are integrating the Particle into
  4. No

Thanks!

Sometimes with the 2G/3G versions we have issues with the power supply. I don't think this is the case because you are using CAT-M1. Is it possible to get some logs from your device while it's stuck on flashing green? You can save it as .txt file and upload it here.

You can add this line your code to enable all logs through serial monitor
SerialLogHandler logHandler(LOG_LEVEL_ALL);

You also can use the cloud debug firmware and try to reproduce the issue to see the modem logs.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.