WiFi Smoke Detector Prototype

Video

I used a Photon, an MQ2 smoke sensor and a piezo speaker. It texts me when it detects smoke.

4 Likes

Nice! I saw the wire spool thing on Thingiverse or Reddit or somewhere recently, but I can’t find it now. It’s even better seeing it as part of the Particle community! The video is well done and the project is really cool, but I’m still hung up on the wiring. I really need to find the spooler thing now that I’ve seen it in action.

Is that just plain magnet wire? I see you cut it with some snips, but how did you strip the ends? The wires are overlapping, so there has to be some sort of enamel or covering still on it. It’s… just… so… magical!

Thank you for the kind words. That was me on reddit! I will be posting a video on the wiring pencil soon. The enamel melts away with the heat of the soldering iron. I will also be releasing the 3d files for the pencil on instructables.

1 Like

This popped up in my Reddit feed! :smile:

It just like the nest thermostat just much less expensive and is actually customizable (adjusting the brightness of the nest thermostat screen don’t really count). http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/011/848/cold.jpg :smiley: