USB not detected on brand new photon. 17/100 units defect

Hi,
For my production I use DFU mode to initially program the photon (without headers).

My pcb assembly currently have 17 defective units on 100 units that cant be detected when connected with usb cable in dfu mode (led is flashing yellow but usb is not detected).

I ordered over 500 photon and it’s the first time I have so much trouble. Photon were purchased directly from particle wholesale.

Any suggestions. I cant make test by myself right now because it’s in the pcb assembly hands.
I tried to contact particle support without answer for 2 days now.
I need a solution or answer quick. Thanks

1 Like

If you have an account manager I would contact them directly about getting the defective units returned/replaced under warranty. My experience with Particle Sales responsiveness isn’t great either but they are good about warranty/ defects.

Hey there – thanks for reaching out. This certainly seems unusual, given the amount of testing that goes into verifying each device before we ship it out of our factories.

I will give your ticket a bit of a bump within our queueing system (we have been receiving lots of inquiries lately) and make sure you get a reply shortly.

We’ll make sure you get taken care of.

2 Likes

If you haven’t already, I would be checking these devices before / after you’ve assembled them into your PCB. We’ve had some folks apply processes during manufacturing that can damage or impact the performance of the Particle modules and dev kits, and it’s very unusual to see such a high defect rate. I would recommend checking the datasheet, and reach out to Particle sales / support if you need more info or recommendations around manufacturing.

edit: Just to echo what Will is saying also, ensuring extremely high quality on all modules is very important and the team is investigating.

Thanks,
David

1 Like

I am sorry to hear that. Can you provide us with more informations for further analysis?

1. When did they buy these PHOTONs? which SKU? PHNTRAYNOH or PHOTONNOH?
  2. Can you provide us with the SNs or device IDs for these defectives?
2 Likes

I am sorry to hear that, I am the production manager in Particle China, can you provide us with more informations for further analysis?

When did they buy these PHOTONs? which SKU? PHNTRAYNOH or PHOTONNOH?
Can you provide us with the SNs or device IDs for these defectives?

Hi, I dont have the SN of the defective devices. I bought photonnoh.
Transaction date is 22/10/2018

The Photon are out of the box, not soldered to anything. Only usb is connected and not working. I have video of device working then next device is not working.

If you’re in china, can you ship new photon directly to my manufacturer in china? It would help me a lot. They will send back the defective photon and I’ll be able to do more tests.

Thanks