Unknown blink pattern. What does this indicate?

Can you try placing it in safe mode?

Yes I can.

I when I keep in listening mode it blinks dark blue and eventually ends up in breathing dark blue. I am not sure what mode that is. When I run particle serial identify, it says Serial timed out!

The photon falls out of safe mode after sometime and enters the mode shown in the video. I am not sure what’s causing this.

If you placed it in Safe mode and it connected to the :cloud: successfully, it means that something in your user code is causing the behavior.

Hello everyone,
My photon is acting weird. It is connecting to the cloud when I flash my code. I can see that its breathing cyan happily. After some time it enters into blinking cyan and gives intermediate yellow/red flashes. I am not sure what’s causing this. What could this combination of color codes mean?

[UPDATE]
Here is my log at the point which fails
<…WORKING HAPPILY…>
0001027829 [comm.sparkprotocol] WARN: ping ACK not received
0001027829 [system] WARN: Communication loop error, closing cloud socket
0001027829 [system] INFO: Cloud: connecting
0001027857 [system] INFO: Resolved host device.spark.io to 52.91.48.237
0001032857 [system] ERROR: connection failed to 52.91.48.237:5683, code=-2
0001032857 [system] WARN: Cloud socket connection failed: -2
0001037858 [system] WARN: Internet Test Failed!
0001037858 [system] WARN: Resetting WLAN due to 2 failed connect attempts
0001037858 [system] WARN: Handling cloud error: 2
0001037858 [system] WARN: Resetting WLAN due to SPARK_WLAN_RESET
0001037862 [system] INFO: Network Connect: !SPARK_WLAN_STARTED
0001037862 [system] INFO: ready(): 0; connecting(): 0; listening(): 0; WLAN_SMART_CONFIG_START: 0
0001037863 [hal.wlan] INFO: Using internal antenna
0001037866 [system] INFO: ARM_WLAN_WD 1
0001038627 [system] INFO: ARM_WLAN_WD 2
0001038627 [hal.wlan] INFO: Bringing WiFi interface up with DHCP
0001038648 [system] INFO: CLR_WLAN_WD 1, DHCP success

and the error messages repeat again.
Thanks
Dheeraj

Do you mean red+yellow at the same time (so orange) or single red and single yellow flashes?

red+yellow(orange sort of)

I have seen posts on this topic. They were all referring to damaged particle keys. I don’t think this is the issue because when I click reset the photon connects to cloud and after some time will enter into the state described.

Yes I think you are right. Based on your log, it is no key error.

Currently I believe it could be a recoming issue on Particle side. Compere to the last posts at Electron suddenly stopped connecting

Do you use automatic device mode?

I am using Manual mode. I am handling the Particle.connect() and Particle.process()

Please try to connect to the cloud with the safe mode and wait whether the orange flashes appears in the safe mode. Instead of the safe mode, you also can use the automatic device mode.

So we can exclude you application results the issue.

I kept the particle Photon in safe mode(breathing magenta) and it falls out of safe mode and enters into blinking cyan state.

Okay, even if you don’t believe it is a key error, please execute with the particle cli:

particle keys server
particle keys doctor <device_id>

Be sure that your device is in DFU mode and the path in your particle cli doesn’t contain old keys for this device.

Often it helps against strange problems :wink:

Update

Based on your log it seems that the cloud connection is not maintain correctly. Is your Particle.process() repeated in the correct intervals?

Could you post your code?

I can’t post the code but it is falling out of safe mode. What might cause that? Does the safe mode has a timeout?

Yeah you're right. Wrong thinking of mine. Did you do the keys commands?

Not yet. I will be doing some more tests before I flash new keys.

When the device starts bliking cyan after being in Safe Mode, this does not mean your device dropped out of Safe Mode.
Blinking cyan just means (re-)handshaking with the Particle cloud and once the connection is reestablished you'd find your device in Safe Mode (breathing magenta again) still.

@Niklas, I don't quite understand this statement

Safe Mode ensures that no user application is running and hence interfering with the connection.
If you mean SYSTEM_MODE(AUTOMATIC) (explicitly or by omitting the setting) when you say "automatic device mode" then that won't do any good for testing whether the code interferes with the connection or not.

I have moved the whoe thread ( "Photon blinking cyan with intermediate yellow/red blinks" ) over here since this seems to be a double post of the same issue which is sternly fronwed upon :point_up:

Side note:
If you were using an Electron:
The reason why the cloud connection (but not the cell connection) drops isn't clear, but if you used a 3rd party SIM a too high Particle.keepAlive() setting (or failing to set it at all) might be the cause.

@ScruffR
Device = photon

After I keep the device in safe mode(breathing magenta) and then if the device blinks cyan and never breather cyan again, then is it an issue with the user code?

This is not a duplicate of “Photon blinking cyan with intermediate yellow/red blinks”. In this particular blink pattern, it is rapidly flashing cyan where as in my post(marked as a double) it is blinking cyan. They are 2 different patterns not sure it they mean the same thing.

As I said, after placing in safe mode and after a while it enters into this mode and stays in this mode. Also when I try to place it in listening mode, it blinks dark blue and will eventually end up in breathing dark blue.

@kennethlimcp @ScruffR

Hello,
I went deeper into the firmware and found these blink patterns. In system_led_signal.cpp, line 65

const uint8_t DEFAULT_THEME_DATA[] = {
    DEFAULT_SIGNAL_DATA(WHITE, FADE, NORMAL), // LED_SIGNAL_NETWORK_OFF
    DEFAULT_SIGNAL_DATA(BLUE, FADE, NORMAL), // LED_SIGNAL_NETWORK_ON
    DEFAULT_SIGNAL_DATA(GREEN, BLINK, NORMAL), // LED_SIGNAL_NETWORK_CONNECTING
    DEFAULT_SIGNAL_DATA(GREEN, BLINK, FAST), // LED_SIGNAL_NETWORK_DHCP
    DEFAULT_SIGNAL_DATA(GREEN, FADE, NORMAL), // LED_SIGNAL_NETWORK_CONNECTED
    DEFAULT_SIGNAL_DATA(CYAN, BLINK, NORMAL), // LED_SIGNAL_CLOUD_CONNECTING
    DEFAULT_SIGNAL_DATA(CYAN, BLINK, FAST), // LED_SIGNAL_CLOUD_HANDSHAKE
    DEFAULT_SIGNAL_DATA(CYAN, FADE, NORMAL), // LED_SIGNAL_CLOUD_CONNECTED
    DEFAULT_SIGNAL_DATA(MAGENTA, FADE, NORMAL), // LED_SIGNAL_SAFE_MODE
    DEFAULT_SIGNAL_DATA(BLUE, BLINK, SLOW), // LED_SIGNAL_LISTENING_MODE
    DEFAULT_SIGNAL_DATA(YELLOW, BLINK, NORMAL), // LED_SIGNAL_DFU_MODE
    DEFAULT_SIGNAL_DATA(MAGENTA, BLINK, FAST), // LED_SIGNAL_FIRMWARE_UPDATE
    DEFAULT_SIGNAL_DATA(GRAY, SOLID, NORMAL) // LED_SIGNAL_POWER_OFF
};

The breathing dark blue is DEFAULT_SIGNAL_DATA(BLUE, FADE, NORMAL), // LED_SIGNAL_NETWORK_ON

It means that the network is on. Does this mean the photon just got an IP address?

A few days back my photon got stuck in this mode and wouldn’t connect to WiFi anytime.

In system_task.cpp, line 104,

void manage_network_connection() is toggling the network connection to ON/OFF depending on the flags.
(responsible for solid white, breathing blue colour states)

and line 278,

void establish_cloud_connection() is connecting the photon to the cloud
(responsible for blinkFast, blinkNormal, fade - green and cyan)

I think photon entering breathing blue mode is because it is not able to exit out of this function or something is causing it to block establish_cloud_connection(). I am not sure what it is.