Tutorial: Installing the Particle Workbench developer preview

Nice! So, with a little help from Particle folks, I learned that the next step after installing was to use the MSCode Command Palette (Ctrl-Shift P) to invoke, “particle: create new project”

Once I brought in some code that runs on the Photon, I used the Build menu to kick off a build. It builds. Rah.

This will be great particularly when I break the network stack and the web IDE isn’t available for an update (…without device reset).

Looking forward to more walkthroughs from you

3 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Issues installing Workbench’s VSIX (combined from multiple threads.)

Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+P

Particle: Install Library will have to do both. For cloud build it will use the project.properties dependencies but for local build it needs a local copy of the sources.

1 Like

You have set the platform as Electron?

Check for "particle.targetPlatform": "electron" in yourProject.code-workspace

Have you added the required include statement as noted in the reference docs?

Switching versions is easy (although it may become even easier in future)
Open yourProject.code-workspace and change "particle.firmwareVersion": "0.7.0" to "particle.firmwareVersion": "0.6.3" and save.
This should download the required sources and set you up for local compiling of all modules too.

This is what I get with Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+B

But of course the keyboard shortcut needs to be set correctly

Which should be done by the VSIX (requires reload).

Are the release candidates of 0.8.0 supported? I’ve tried a few permutations of 0.8.0-rc.11 but says it’s invalid.

1 Like

See this earlier post

But I'm sure efforts will be made to also support RCs.

In the command palette when you set your target device, if you are logged in, should it not show your devices? As opposed to having to know the device name or device ID and type it in?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Issues installing compiling (combined from multiple threads.)

FWIW, what I did (and worked) was:
Click gear icon bottom left, select Command Palete, enter “particle” and select Particle: Install local compiler from the drop-down list.

Hi, my project compile and working well. Here is project build step with my library.

2 Likes

It’s alpha so appreciate that it’s still a bit flaky at the moment, but hopefully this will provide a solid more co-herent platform for development and debugging.

So are we able to open existing projects or do we need to start from scratch by creating a project and then importing previous files, anything I open existing is not working.

Also, will it handle building of library projects or are we at the moment just at the firmware level ?

Currently there is no one-click way to migrate existing projects, but something that way is planned.
For now you’d need to create a new project and copy your sources into that.

Same goes for library creation. It’ll come.

2 Likes

Thanks @ScruffR

Suspected that would be the case. Looks good so far.

As a professional developer with Microsoft Technologies I am so used to Visual Studio and everything being nicely tied together and am really missing a nice co-herent development experience.

So keep at it guys, hopefully this will progress rapidly to a really good building process, which is a bit lacking at the moment. WebIDE is nice but lacks the GIT integration. Desktop with ATOM is good but lacks coherence.

So really hopefull with viscose as a way forwards. Looking forward to trying debugging.

Keep at it

Craig

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: 2 factor auth support

Thanks for all the great feedback, everyone! Instead posted issues as replies in this thread, please create a new post and provide the information requested here.

I’m going to lock this thread from here on out and address issues posted here in a new thread.

1 Like