Spark Electron?

Anybody else see the Spark Electron go live and get pulled shortly after? REALLY hope im not hallucinating!

2 Likes

Yes, I saw it too. It looks interesting although it appears to require a $2.99 monthly fee. They are listing it on Kickstarter, but Kickstarter is down. Is there a conspiracy? :smile:

I found this article about it.: https://gigaom.com/2015/02/25/spark-electron-wants-to-make-cellular-connectivity-easy-as-wi-fi/

Here is the Kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sparkdevices/spark-electron-cellular-dev-kit-with-a-simple-data-plan

2 Likes

Thats just awesome ! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Great article, thanks for the post!

Sorry guys, Kickstarter went down! Once it’s back up, we’ll make an official announcement

One curious point is that the article states that the Spark guys do not have an agreement with a cellular provider yet. If that is true, it raises some interesting questions:

1. How can you price a cellular service if you don’t know how much it will cost you?
  2. How can you embed a cellular radio if you don’t know what network it will be using (the carriers use different technologies)?
  3. What is the risk that they don’t get a carrier agreement and hence that the product is not actually released?
1 Like

Hi @JL_678 - the information in the article there is factually incorrect, we are sending her a message to change that line. There is no risk, we have a deal on the table that we will be announcing later.

1 Like

Zach,

Thank you for the rapid response! I appreciate your clarification and am glad that the article is wrong. The product looks very cool.

2 Likes

Hopefully an official announcement will have the answer.

I had to check the calendar and make sure I didn't sleep thru March. Thought for a second it was April 1st. I'm already itching for the KS site to go back up!

1 Like

Looks sweet. You’ll have a backer here!

1 Like

Hopefully this just means that the early bird Electrons are going to go super fast when we launch happens! :smile:

Sorry for the delay all…can’t wait…

3 Likes

Thanks fellas! Sorry for the false start, all of us in the Spark office are like this right now:

8 Likes

We need to Sparkify this one

5 Likes

I am getting to excited to wait for more info. But this Electron is based on Photon + 2/3G?

1 Like

Kickstarter just came back online. Here’s hoping that the Electron will return shortly! , :smile:

Edit: Awesome! The Spark.io front page is now updated with the Electron!

2 Likes

PLEDGED! I know you guys will make this another EPIC market changing product.

3 Likes

Neat! Exciting news, I’ll be following this closely.

edit: kneejerk reaction - Jumped on the early bird special. Why? Because Kickstarter, I guess!

2 Likes