[Spark core] Common issues

Hello again @kennethlimcp…I successfully installed Node.js (0.12.5), dfu-util (0.8), Zadig (2.1.2), and the libusK (v3.0.7.0) driver. “dfu-util” can’t find the Core; obviously, “particle” can’t either. I get the exact same (identical) error message as @Raviteja.
Steps taken:
1: Install Node.js, then install Particle CLI (painless)
2: Locate, download and unzip dfu-util, add it’s location to the system PATH variable
3: Put the Core in DFU mode (blinking yellow), run Zadig, install the libusK driver (piece of cake)
4: Restart the Core (just in case), back to DFU mode, run a command prompt, run “dfu-util -l”…and it doesn’t list any devices.

BINGO–just before I was another problem, I found the solution. You cannot connect the core to a USB 3.0 controller for dfu-util. My computer conveniently has two USB 3.0 ports on the front, and dfu-util can’t find it there. I plugged it into a port on the back of my computer (alas, the Particle cable is a little too short for me to reach it!), and dfu-util immediately listed two devices. (Also noted on Windows 7 + dfu-util + USB 3)

—EDIT—found another link saying that CLI won’t work on USB 3.0 ports, so cleaned up my post, and added link to the other post.

2 Likes