[solved] photon cannot be claimed

I recently found myself on the brink of bricking my Photon due to an error related to “claiming” the device. I eventually found the underlying culprit – and I believe it is a bug in the Particle infrastructure – and wanted to share it with anyone else who may be searching for help when they end up in this situation!

• I have had a photon working great, associated with my account
  • I wanted a friend to flash his firmware on it – so I removed it from my account and he tried to claim it
  • ERROR
  • I gave up and tried to add the Photon back to my own account
  • ERROR
  • :sweat_smile:
  • I started searching this forum, copy-and-pasted some things I shouldn’t have copy and pasted. Put my healthy Photon in a very bad state; I couldn’t connect to it at all, I couldn’t get it back on wifi, and I had this red LED flashing at me to remind me of the mistake I just made.
  • I tried resetting cloud keys, fiddling with the CLI, reflashing the firmware manually, … all to no avail …
  • Then I remembered I had added this photon to a “product” under my account on particle.io; While I removed the photon from my account, it did not remove that product record.
  • I removed the product entry and :boom: my Photon was able to be claimed by Particle account again

Happy hacking :upside_down:

1 Like

I have same problem.
Can you tell me how to do this step:

• Then I remembered I had added this photon to a “product” under my account on particle.io ; While I removed the photon from my account, it did not remove that product record.