Hey, I was having problems updating my Argon via particle CLI today, and the troubleshooting steps in the template helped me solve my problem, so I thought I'd share the details of what fixed things for me in case anyone else is having this problem as well:
TL/DR: Plug the Argon directly into your computer (no USB hubs) and disconnect all other USB devices before running the
particle update command
- Search in the community for similar reports
- No other similar issues found
- Create a new topic / thread and include the “[ISSUE]” prefix - this will help us quickly differentiate bug reports from general questions / discussion
- Verify you are using the latest versions of the CLI - there’s a decent chance we’ve already fixed your issue. Here’s how to update
- Disable Antivirus - some antivirus programs interfere with the CLI - temporarily disable or explicitly grant higher privileges and confirm your issue is still present
- Disabled anti-virus and tried again, same result
- Bypass USB hub / extensions - if you are working with a device and are seeing issues related to its USB connection, try disconnecting all USB devices and reconnecting only your Particle device directly to you computer’s USB port.
- THIS SOLVED MY PROBLEM
- Check your USB Cable - Likewise, if you are having issues connecting to your device over USB, try using a different cable. You’d be surprised how many “power-only” USB cables are out there.
- Avoid Cloud Storage Drives Targeting a project in a Dropbox / OneDrive / Google Drive directory? Try moving it to a standard directory
- Please provide clear steps to reproduce your issue - what chain of events lead to the issue? what happened? what did you expect would happen?
- Capture Verbose Error Log - run your failing command again using the
--verboseflag - e.g.
particle <cmd> --verbose- and share the full error details
- (I tried this but the output was the same:)
C:\Users\Boompy>particle update Updating argon e00fce687054767e5ec5b31a to latest Device OS version [█████████████████████████] 100% | Flashing firstname.lastname@example.org Update success!
C:\Users\Boompy>particle update --verbose Updating argon e00fce687054767e5ec5b31a to latest Device OS version [█████████████████████████] 100% | Flashing email@example.com Update success!
- Include Environmental Info
- Operating System?
- CPU Architecture (32/64 bit? arm?)
- Particle CLI Version (run
- Contents of your particle directory -
ls -a ~/.particle(macOS / linux - bash, etc),
get-childitem ~\AppData\Local\particle(windows - powershell)
- How was the Particle CLI installed? (standard or advanced?) see docs
- What terminal / shell are you running the Particle CLI within? (powershell, bash, zsh, cmd.exe, etc)
- What Particle hardware are you using? (argon, boron, etc)
|Processor||Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz|
|Installed RAM||16.0 GB|
|System type||64-bit operating system, x64-based processor|
|Edition||Windows 10 Home|
|Experience||Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19052.1000.0|
C:\Users\Boompy>particle version 3.17.3
PS C:\Users\Boompy> get-childitem ~\AppData\Local\particle Directory: C:\Users\Boompy\AppData\Local\particle Mode LastWriteTime Length Name ---- ------------- ------ ---- d----- 7/11/2023 10:25 PM .npm-cache d----- 7/11/2023 10:25 PM bin d----- 7/11/2023 10:24 PM node-v16.20.0-windows-x64 d----- 10/21/2023 12:18 AM node_modules d----- 7/11/2023 10:25 PM NSIS-Tool.3.0.8 d----- 7/11/2023 10:24 PM tmp -a---- 10/30/2023 9:48 AM 53 autoupdate -a---- 10/30/2023 10:29 AM 304398 error.log -a---- 10/21/2023 12:18 AM 824516 package-lock.json -a---- 10/21/2023 12:18 AM 58 package.json -a---- 10/21/2023 12:18 AM 60 plugin-cache.json -a---- 7/11/2023 10:35 PM 160842 Uninstall.exe
I am using a Argon