Regarding Amazon Argon comment: Sync and configuration problems

I've dabbled with the ESP8266 and modified code to make wifi connections for client and server more independent and reliable. But then heard about the Particle stuff. It would be nice to leave the wifi/mesh to someone else like Particle. I just about pulled the trigger on buying an Argon (and still likely will) but read this Amazon review and was disappointed. The reason I was considering the Argon was to eliminate issues not have new ones. Is this review accurate or still accurate?

June 16, 2019

The idea is great, but the implementation is a pain in the a....s.
Easy to loose wi-fi connection between usage.
If setting up a mesh network fails in the first attempt, you have to reset everything to start the mesh network setup again in the app.
Stick with Photon model and better wait more time for more updates or look for newer option from Arduino.

There have been some major updates in the device OS to address some of these issues and AFAICT stability has improved since then considerably.
Sure, there are still kinks and glitches here or there but it’s an ongoing effort to address these and you can expect about one new release per month fixing issues.

1 Like

Just some further notes on this issue:

• Losing Wi-Fi credentials is not at all a common problem, in fact - it’s a pretty wonky one. It’s likely that this user was unable to complete their setup process, leading to a common and easily-addressible circumstance where the device appears to be needing its credentials re-entered.
  • You don’t need to use the app to establish Mesh Network Setup - you can do so easily via CLI. This is a pretty foolproof means of setting up a Mesh Network on the first go (as is, frankly, the mobile app - though it seems like this user experienced an edge case on a platform that’s since received many updates).
  • The Photon is great, but the Argon outperforms it considerably (including enhancements like BLE capability, Mesh, NFC, etc…)
2 Likes

Thanks. I’m ok with a one time wonky setup. I just need to insure that upon power failure it all comes back together again on its own independent of the power up sequence. I found (or seem to find) that with the standard ESP8266 WifiManager libraries that all worked fine if the Wifi sources were up and running prior to the nodeMCU initiating connections with Wifi. It had no problems if the Wifi went up and down after it initially got connected. The problem seemed to be that if everything was working fine and then the ESP rebooted and the Network (with WiFi) hadn’t yet that WifiManager interpreted that as bad Wifi Credentials. I made a work around after looking at the WifiManager Library code. I’m not sure that the Particle implementation would be that convenient to do so if having the same issue.

Maybe a less round about way to pose my concerns would be to ask if there are connectivity issues with otherwise stable applications when Particles boot prior to the network (WiFi) being up and running.

I’m using my stuff to monitor my home (mostly my mechanical systems like my geo-thermal HVAC system) while snow-birding in Mexico half the year. When, not if, we have power failures I’m not there to reset things.

@wakewatcher - there are no known unbound issues that correspond with Argon Wifi credential loss or an inability to reconnect/connect post-boot if properly managed in firmware. Particle users have the agency to manage their Argon’s ability to connect to the Cloud with a high degree of customization and control. It’s worth noting further an Argon’s ability to store/get credentials and a host of other related functions (like Wifi scanning) as detailed in the DeviceOS API.

By “setup,” in my previous comment, I did not mean to suggest that it was a one-off issue with an improper boot/reset of an Argon, but instead an incomplete set up process of their device after receiving it new. I feel confident that the Argon is a terrific choice for use cases mediating between a Wifi access point, the physical/mechanical world of sensors and actuators, and the Cloud. :slight_smile:

1 Like