We love the Photon and as a development house we want to start to build products with it, however we are finding id difficult to understand/choose how we implement it.
I would like to suggest that we put together some recipes so that developers can say - ah - yes that’s the recipe I should follow to do this style of product…
Here is my fictitious example - which awaits guidance on a recipe.
The Production Line Temperature Sensor
Let’s say we are developing a temperature control device for a manufacturing company, the device needs to be installed in a small foot print and a dirty environment, which means no touchscreen interface or LCD etc for input.
The device will report the temperature back to a RESTful web server, the device will also need to respond to requests from a Server to change it’s speed of update (say 10 seconds to 1 minute etc)
- the Web API is already built for receiving data
- the customer understands nothing about the Photon - doesn’t even know it exists.
So how do we do this?
- We build our electronics with a temperature sensor and write our program to read the values
- What mechanism and how do we send the data back - WebHooks?
- We want to, from our web based front-end send a message to the Photon, what do we use to do this Cloud Code API?
- When the user gets their new box, and installs it, how do they connect it to the network, so that it can start working, (remember they are simple manufacturers!)
- If for some reason it drops off the network, (and we know this due to lack of reports via the web api), how does the user check/reset (i.e. there may have been a wifi password change).
I think this project forms the base of what most of us in the unglamorous non coffee-machine building world need to know, our users are manufacturers…
Really look forward to some good ideas/guides.