Problems getting a neglected spark back online

I got a spark back on the original kickstarter and I am having problems getting it back online again after sitting in a drawer for a while. I've tried everything I've found on the forums here and can't get it working, any help would be appreciated.

Android app can't find it to set it up.

Tried two different networks, one with WPA2 and one Unsecured.

I've used particle-cli to perform set up and get:

Setup is easy! Let's get started...
It appears as though you are already logged in as [AccountName]
? Would you like to log in with a different account? No

! PROTIP: Hold the MODE/SETUP button on your device until it blinks blue!
! PROTIP: Please make sure you are connected to the internet.

I have detected a Spark Core connected via USB.
? Would you like to continue with this one? Yes
? Should I scan for nearby Wi-Fi networks? No
? SSID: [SSID]
? Security Type: WPA2
? Wi-Fi Password: [Password]
Attempting to configure Wi-Fi on COM3
I said: w
Serial said: SSID:
I said: HCR1_SSID

Serial said: HCR1_SSID
Password:
timed out on Security 0=unsecured, 1=WEP, 2=WPA, 3=WPA2:
timed out on Spark <3 you!
Something went wrong Serial prompt timed out - Please try restarting your device

! Something went wrong
! Serial prompt timed out - Please try restarting your device
Potentially unhandled rejection [2] Serial prompt timed out - Please try restart
ing your device (WARNING: non-Error used)
Potentially unhandled rejection [4] Serial prompt timed out - Please try restart
ing your device (WARNING: non-Error used)

I've tried flashing the deep update and then doing it all over again but still cant get it to connect

C:\Users\The\Downloads>dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 0 -s 0x8005000:leave -D C:\Users
\The\Downloads\deep_update_2014_06.bin
dfu-util 0.8

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2014 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

Invalid DFU suffix signature
A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
Opening DFU capable USB device...
ID 1d50:607f
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting #0 ...
Determining device status: state = dfuERROR, status = 10
dfuERROR, clearing status
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 1024
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash "
Downloading to address = 0x08005000, size = 93636
Download [=========================] 100% 93636 bytes
Download done.
File downloaded successfully
Transitioning to dfuMANIFEST state

What colour is the Core blinking?

I would recommend this:

I followed the doc you linked to and I got to the particle serial wifi step and as soon as I enter the password and hit enter the core basically goes out like there is no power, no blinking/breathing led at all and I get this message:

Password:
timed out on Security 0=unsecured, 1=WEP, 2=WPA, 3=WPA2:
timed out on Spark <3 you!
Something went wrong Serial prompt timed out - Please try restarting your device

That’s weird. Has the core ever been setup before?

Yes it has, it was all set up and running the rccar app installed when I put it away…which to be fair was a very long time ago.

Might be completely different case, but I bumped into weird behaviour several times when I connected from a computer I did not use for a while. Authorization token expired, but neither particle-cli nor Particle Dev gives any meaningful error - usually something like JSON error or just does nothing. Logging out and back in refreshes the token and it magically starts working again.

True but sending wifi credentials via CLI doesn’t involve any :cloud: related stuff :wink:

@hutt21 are you still having issues? Might want to try another cable.

Yes I am still having problems and have tried a different cable to no avail…disappointing.

Hmm…kickstarter core… Do you have DFU-util or CLI installed?

Try a CC3000 flash. I had one (brand-new, never-used) Core refuse to connect. Although it would accept credentials (via USB), it was definitely “messed up”, and couldn’t connect to WiFi. A CC3000 flash did the trick for me. I see from your examples that you have DFU-Util installed; if you also have the Particle CLI (command line interface) installed, try putting the Core in DFU mode, and run the following from a command prompt:

particle flash --usb cc3000
2 Likes

I dusted off one of my Cores a while back and had all sorts of issues getting it back online. I don't know exactly what sequence of actions eventually fixed it, but I think it involved resetting the keys. Maybe try particle keys doctor?

Edit: Have a look at this thread:

OK I tried to flash cc3000 and this was the output:

particle flash --usb cc3000
Found DFU device 1d50:607f
checking file  binaries/cc3000-patch-programmer.bin
running dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 0 -i 0 -s 0x08005000:leave -D binaries/cc3000-patch-programmer.bin

Flash success!

It went right into DFU mode after a reboot which I’m not sure is normal but…either way it is still exhibiting the same behavior as before. :disappointed:

@hutt21: That is normal behavior if no program is stored in the Core. Have you flashed Tinker or another known working app back to the Core?

OK, so now you've done a firmware upgrade, and a CC3000 flash...we're rapidly narrowing down the number of options. @dougal suggested a "particle keys doctor"; I tried that with my cantankerous NIB Core (that couldn't connect to the :cloud:), but that didn't fix it for me. That fix should only apply to a Core that successfully connects to WiFi, but fails to connect to the :cloud:.

Can you give us a step-by-step sequence of what the Core is doing? Perhaps something like this:

1. Power Up -> LED flashes white.
  2. 1 sec -> LED starts flashing green (connecting to WiFi)
  3. 3 sec -> LED turns blue (no credentials)
  4. ...

OK, so right now after I flashed the tinker app, it basically powers up to white for about 1 second and then goes to a flashing blue and that’s it.

Sorry if I suggest “the obvious”, but according to the docs, that means that the Core is waiting for WiFi credentials.

Blinking blue: Listening for Wi-Fi credentials
```
I'd suggest giving WiFi credentials via a phone/tablet, even though you wrote the following:
[quote="hutt21, post:1, topic:14075"]
Android app can't find it to set it up.
[/quote]

You need to use the "Spark" app for a Core, NOT the "Particle" app!  Why Particle did this, I don't know, but the Spark app is for the Core, and the Particle app is for the Photon.  With Smart Config, there is no "finding the device", as much as "shooting in the dark."  For the Photon, the app will search for a SoftAP hotspot for credentials.

I was/am using the Spark app on Android and IOS and the result is “No Cores found. Try Again”

OK…I have no idea how, but it is working again!!! :smile: I didn’t make any changes to the core since I flashed the cc3000 and tinker firmware. What I did do was download the spark-cli source from git and then ran through the manual installation (which ultimately failed as well…) thinking that maybe somehow the particle-cli wasn’t working with my device for some reason.

Immediately after that I just ran:

particle setup wifi --usb

and magically got this:

C:\>particle setup wifi --usb
? Should I scan for nearby Wi-Fi networks? (Y/n) n
? Should I scan for nearby Wi-Fi networks? No
? SSID: [SSID]
? Security Type: WPA2
? Wi-Fi Password: [Password]
Attempting to configure Wi-Fi on COM3
I said: w
Serial said: SSID:
I said: [SSID]

Serial said: [SSID]
Security 0=unsecured, 1=WEP, 2=WPA, 3=WPA2:
I said: 3

Serial said: 3
Password:
I said: [Password]

Serial said: [Password]
Thanks! Wait about 7 seconds while I save those credentials...

Serial said: Awesome. Now we'll connect!

If you see a pulsing cyan light, your Spark Core
has connected to the Cloud and is ready to go!

If your LED flashes red or you encounter any other problems,
visit https://www.spark.io/support to debug.

Spark <3 you!

Done! Your device should now restart.

C:\>particle serial list
Found 1 device connected via serial:
COM3 - Spark Core

C:\>particle device add [DeviceId]
Claiming device [DeviceId]
Successfully claimed device [DeviceId]

C:\>particle list
turtle_station [DeviceId] (Core) is online
  Functions:
    int digitalread(String args)
    int digitalwrite(String args)
    int analogread(String args)
    int analogwrite(String args)

I didn’t do anything I hadn’t done already like 50 times…frustrating to say the least.

Thank you all so much for the help! Even though I don’t know what the cause was, if it weren’t for you I’m certain it wouldn’t have fixed itself! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@hutt21: great news! However, I’m a little stymied as to how the Spark app on Android could say “No Cores found.” Because the very nature of the Smart Config is really “shooting in the dark.” There is no communication between Core and Android until after the Core has connected to WiFi! Basically, the app simply sends out your WiFi credentials over and over (and over again) via packet-length-encoded UDP packets, until the Core catches the stream, decodes it, and then attempts to connect with those credentials.

Yea…I dunno what to say…right before I got it working via USB I tried the Spark app on three different devices:

• iPhone 5c running IOS 8.x
  • Nexus 5 running Android 5.x
  • Kindle Fire running Android 4.x

All three reported the same thing, “No Cores found.” even tho the core was flashing blue.