Since the Getting started docs for Photon does not mention anything about failed setup using the mobile apps, here’s a guide for users experiencing out-of-the-box issue.
MAC and WINDOWS
The best tool is to use
particle-cli and here’s some tutorial to install on your machine:
- Mac - Tutorial: Particle-cli on Mac OSX [26 Sep 2015]
- Windows - Tutorial: Particle-cli on Windows [07 Jun 2015]
Once that is installed, ensure that the Photon is blinking blue [listening mode] and enter
particle serial identify. This gives you a device id that we will use to claim the device to your account later.
particle login to logon or create a new account. Next, enter
particle serial wifi and enter the wifi credentials of your network accordingly. The Photon will reboot and attempt to connect to the wifi and eventually be breathing cyan.
Once that is happening, enter
particle device add xxxxxxx where xxxxxx is the device id obtained earlier.
If you have issues install particle-cli
- Use a serial terminal program. If you have the Arduino IDE, that’s the serial monitor. Otherwise, coolterm for Mac and putty for Windows work great.
- Check that the Photon is blinking blue [listening mode] and connect via Serial with 9600 Baudrate, 8 Databits, no Parity, 1 Stop bit
- hit i on your keyboard to retrieve the device id
- hit W on your keyboard and follow the steps to enter your wifi network credentials
- the Photon should reboot and eventually enter breathing cyan state
- Go to https://build.particle.io and login with your account
- Hit the device tab and paste the device id to claim it.
07 July 2015