Poll: What is your favorite programming language?

Time for a Particle poll! We’re going to be doing these once or twice a week.

• Ruby
  • Python
  • Javascript
  • Java
  • C/C++
  • C#
  • Objective C
  • Swift
  • Go
  • PHP

0 voters

Discuss below.

Idea for a poll? Post it here.

2 Likes

Like this if you wanted to vote for Haskell but it wasn’t there

The question does not provide enough information. Favorite programming language to do what?

For number crunching: Fortran
For nearly shooting myself in the foot with silly pointer tricks: C.
For quick scripts: BASH.
For web development: JavaScript.
For its syntax: Ruby.

5 Likes

Good point, @jefflarkin. We’ll have to do some followup polls.

How about “none of the above”? I’m a BASIC or assembler person…
However, with my work on the Particle platform, I’ve come to embrace the C/C++ “Wiring” platform. I like C better than Basic for the level of control, as C is about as close to assembler as you can get.

1 Like

Where is Delphi? :smile:

1 Like

Haha! Sadly, I can’t change the poll after I’ve created it, but if you have a language that you wish was on there, post as you have already and people can vote for it with Likes.

too bad... I :heart: Lua!!!

:smile:

Don’t forget perl!

Fortran anyone? :slight_smile:

I cut my embedded teeth on PLM. Does anyone remember that gem?

And for Safe computing. Rust

@MisterNetwork I use Fortran nearly daily to run on the second fastest computer in the world. For crunching numbers, it’s pretty hard to beat.

1 Like

I agree 100% especially 2, 4 & 5. I don’t do much number crunching but I have started doing some ZSH scripting for certain things. I really like ZSH :smile:

Uhm… Where’s HyperCard/HyperTalk?

Seriously though, I’d suggest we change the question slightly. For example, my favorite language to work in is Javascript because it pays my bills. But favorite language to LEARN/TEACH programming was Pascal because it forces/teaches good form.

But the greatest language ever was clearly C. Not C++. Why pervert the perfect language? C. But it’s a pain in the backside if it’s your first language, and it’s not used as much anymore for paying gigs. I know it still IS used, but not as much as it used to be.

So my overall fave is C. But… I’d still suggest people learn JS before learning C. Pays better.

–anthony.

Article in the news about language popularity :

2 Likes

BASIC - like what is used on the Parallax BS-2 or the Coridium chips.