Photon Setup Failed at "Verify Product Ownership"

First, I got this:

attempting to add a new public key for device 1e003e0...
submitting public key succeeded!

Then I reset the device (doing a hard reset - 10 seconds until fast blinking white light), went to listening mode, tried “particle setup” and got this error message again:

Potentially unhandled rejection [2] Unable to find mac address in response (WARNING: non-Error used)
Found "Photon-DPFQ". Would you like to perform setup on this one now? Yes
! Woops. Something went wrong connecting to Photon-DPFQ. Please manually re-connect to your Wi-Fi network.

Then I tried particle serial wifi, everything went trough OK, but the lights are the same as before - blinking cyan, a few batches of fast blinking cyan and a bit of red, then back to blinking cyan forever.

For the record, I went to check this again based on some of the new posts, and it just worked - as in as soon as I gave it power, it hooked up to the wireless I couldn’t get it to hook up to the first time. So I don’t know what the issue is, but I didn’t touch any of my wireless settings :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m in the same boat with one of my Photons. Any resolution? Have tried everything in this thread. Where/how can I try to update new factory firmware on this Photon? People in other threads are downloading a .bin file. Where does that come from.

See: Photon flashed code once, cannot replace it with any new code

@kennethlimcp On that thread, the Photon at least got configured to the WiFi network once. I’ve never gotten that far.

I worked thru that thread all the way to https://github.com/spark/firmware/releases/tag/0.4.2

No dice. The Photon is now ‘stuck’ in DFU. When I hit reset D7 glows, RGB flashes green once and then back to flashing yellow with glowing D7. Factory reset yields the same results back to flashing yellow.

Return Photon to Particle?

Are there instructions for wiping this thing and starting from scratch?

Update: I tried this using dfu-util https://github.com/spark/firmware/releases/tag/v0.4.1 and I’m back where the whole thing started. Photon fails at “Verify Product Ownership” maybe the device is used…

Are you able to claim it already or that step is preventing a claim?

The Photon setup Failed at “Verify Product Ownership”. It does not show up in my list of devices. I have never been able to use it. The other 19 worked fine.

Have you sent an email to hello@particle.io? If not go ahead and do so, also include your Device ID if you have it

Done to no avail.

Ping…

Any progress on this from Particle? Do the particle people have a bad unit to evaluate? What do we do with our non-functioning photons?

Just a heads-up that we’re discussing this thread at Particle today.

A factory reset only resets the application to tinker, but not the system firmware.
Upgrading to 0.4.2 is essentially wiping and starting from scratch. Please try the upgrade again, double checking each step, since it's easy to mix up the files.

Is it possible to combine the multiple files into a single .hex that can be programmed with a single step (even if that means we have to forcibly pad the gaps because dfu-util can’t grok discontiguous file contents) ?
I think this might simplify the recovery process.

1 Like

Good timing. I just got some time to play with this today and tried the key regen from this thread, and it fixed my Photon!!!

I did get one warning that makes me think this fix might not last:
dfu-util: Invalid DFU suffix signature
dfu-util: A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!

Great to hear that @TogaDriver! :smiley: If you use the program-dfu make target when building locally, we do create the DFU suffix and program it the recommended way, but the .bin file without the suffix can be programmed just fine as well. In other words — no need to worry about that warning, it’s totally benign. :+1:

I have given up and requested a replacement. I can not spend this amount of time on a $19 item. If another one does the same thing, I’ll try a cursory recovery up to my 15 minute time limit, then return.

I’m surprised Particle did not want the pooched Photon back for forensics.

Thanks everyone for their help!

@steelydev, You might give one last try with the instructions below. They finally did the trick for my photon. After doing this and rebooting the device I used the IOS registration (which had not worked) and it worked perfectly.

Using particle, first generate a new key:

particle keys new
Then put the device in DFU mode and flash this new key

dfu-util -d 2b04:d006 -a 1 -s 34 -D device.der
Then reboot the device and it should connect to the cloud.

1 Like

Just to add to this topic, I had the exact same issue as everyone here. iPhone app, CLI serial, and CLI wifi all failed with “invalid claim code.” Finally I tried the “particle serial wifi” method explained here, and my Photon connected, rebooted, flashed, rebooted, and then just connected and apparently claimed itself for me using my CLI credentials.

This is definitely an issue with a number of photons and is creating a lot of headaches for people, especially those who don’t have time to jump through setup hoops.

Just received 10 photons and keen to get the first one connected - now seeing the same problem as others. When I tried the IOS app, it fails at the last step (Verify device ownership) and a retry does not work as the Photon’s network does not appear in the list of networks on my phone. I have to reboot the device, but the same issues appears (fails to verify).

I then tried the CLI and get this message:

Photon team - I know a serious amount of effort has gone into the Photon and I am willing this to work. I can see that by using low level commands, some of these cores do start to connect, but this is far from ideal. Can we have a response as to what is being done to identify how big an issue this is and what we can do collectively to resolve this?

second core has also failed with the same issues. I can provide details if required (ios, network, etc).