Photon not connecting to wifi

What color is the LED, and what output do you get form the CLI, or the app (although I prefer the CLI in this case)?

C:\Program Files\nodejs>particle serial wifi
? Should I scan for nearby Wi-Fi networks? (Y/n) y
? Should I scan for nearby Wi-Fi networks? Yes
? Select the Wi-Fi network with which you wish to connect your device: smallnet
? Security Type Unsecured
Done! Your device should now restart.

-> Green flashing. after 60s or so back to blue blinking

Sounds counter-intuitive, but could you try putting an easy password on it? WPA2, something like ā€˜test1234ā€™. No idea if itā€™ll make a difference (doubt it), but worthwhile trying, if you havenā€™t yet done so.

@bythewayā€™s experience seems to be mirroring my own. Hotspotting from my phone worked, but any other router or access point was problematic.

@Moors7 suggested a simple password. I had done this when using my Netgear router; the WPA2 password was simple ā€œparticleioā€. It didnā€™t make a difference in the outcome.

@bytheway,

I guess the iPhone hotspot is using WPA or WPA2 right? There must be some weirdness with the settings since photons have been connecting in many places in many setup :smiley:

Can you try to change a channel? and use a WPA setting.

@binaryryan, have you ever opened the support ticket I suggested and heard anything back?

@bytheway, if using CLI for providing the credentials to your device try doing it manually (answer N when asked to scan for networks).
Also try wiping any previous credentials by holding SETUP 10+ seconds till rapid flashing blue (only blue subLED).

You said in an early post

But green/blue (both subLEDs together) is cyan :confused:
And blinking cyan indicates cloud handshake, but if it doesn't turn into breathing the handshake keeps failing, which in turn would be indicated by an orange short burst on reattempt (this was what @Moors7 asked earlier for). Do you see such burst?

@ScruffR Yes, I opened a ticket and theyā€™ve only suggested to try all the things Iā€™ve already done (DFU, configure wifi via serial, etc.) It hasnā€™t been resolved yet.

Hmm, thatā€™s not too satisfying :weary:

To be clear about the blink. I meant I never got past green light and never blue light. With that said, no other kind of colors was seen.
And if reading my post 3 - 5 I think, you also notice that I went through various channels, various settings with SSID name, password, encryption and without passwordā€¦ whole open net.

The photon did work both with my router at work and with my Iphone, so nothing wrong with the device. But I am still worried. If I create a product with this device, I have to know it works with all routers out there (more or less).

I actually donā€™t know what else to test with my router since I didnā€™t have any firewall settings eitherā€¦

What exactly is the address the photon tries to reach when sting it up from scratch? eg. http://particle.io/something:5683 ?
If I could somehow reach that from my computer connected to my routerā€¦ then the error would be elsewhere

Try tcp://device.spark.io:5683

You can obtain that info via CLI particle keys address

1 Like

Hi All,

I got pinged to try and offer some advice / help troubleshoot. I actually have a Ubiquiti EdgeMax router and a few UniFi AP-AC-PROs at home, and I can confirm they work very well with my Photons / Cores / etc.

WPA2 AES, 20 Mhz wide channels, channels 1-11, auto RF power level, etc. Make sure the access points arenā€™t trying to co-erce the clients, and donā€™t use ā€œsmooth roamingā€ or whatever, you donā€™t need the Access Points trying to force clients to bounce around. Some APs will also try to kick clients that connect below a certain speed, which can be problematic for embedded devices.

Green blink means itā€™s trying to get on your network (check your password / spelling of the ssid, security type, etc). Fast Green blink means itā€™s trying to get a DHCP lease from your network.

Also itā€™s a good idea to run an RF scan of other nearby networks and make sure there isnā€™t crazy interference on the channels you want to use. If youā€™re near / inside an apartment building or high-density area, thereā€™s a good chance you might be on a hotly contested channel.

Iā€™m happy to provide more specifics, and I know some of this stuff might be stuff you already tried, but Iā€™m guessing we can get your connection going. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
David

5 Likes

Wellā€¦ I could reach the address from my computer. So there is nothing in the router stopping outgoing traffic on that port :frowning:

C:\temp>tcping device.spark.io 5683

Probing 52.0.31.156:5683/tcp - Port is open - time=133.513ms
Probing 52.0.31.156:5683/tcp - Port is open - time=130.454ms
Probing 52.0.31.156:5683/tcp - Port is open - time=132.977ms
Probing 52.0.31.156:5683/tcp - Port is open - time=138.025ms

Ping statistics for 52.0.31.156:5683
4 probes sent.
4 successful, 0 failed.
Approximate trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 130.454ms, Maximum = 138.025ms, Average = 133.742ms

Guyā€™s this is kind of embarrassingā€¦ I solved the connection issue. The root to the problem was range. :frowning:
I just sat down really near the router and the photon connected directly easy way with app on phone. I did not think on problem cause I was with a wireless laptop in the other end of my house.

So, if anyone else have problems. Try to connect the device in close proximity to the router!ā€™

/Cheers

1 Like

@bytheway I considered range to be a problem in my testing too, so I placed the Photon within 6 inches of the router during all my tests. It didnā€™t help my situation.

@binaryryan Did you try to tcp ping as I did?

@bytheway Yup.

Probing 52.90.254.163:5683/tcp - Port is open - time=85.959ms
Probing 52.90.254.163:5683/tcp - Port is open - time=81.685ms
Probing 52.90.254.163:5683/tcp - Port is open - time=81.276ms
Probing 52.90.254.163:5683/tcp - Port is open - time=84.601ms

Ping statistics for 52.90.254.163:5683
 4 probes sent.
 4 successful, 0 failed.
Approximate trip times in milli-seconds:
 Minimum = 81.276ms, Maximum = 85.959ms, Average = 83.380ms

Thank you for your advice. Removing co-existence setting did solve my problem. I had the same problem like binaryryan described.