Photon does not connect to WiFI 2.4

First, I am new to Photon but have programmed Arduino. I am having a hard time connecting to WiFi. I have tried numerous times and so far no success.

1. I have attached the Photon by USB to my Windows 7 computer using USB
  2. uploaded CLI, placed the Photon in DFU mode (yellow) and run c:\particle doctor successfully
  3. set the Photon to Blinking blue and run c:\particle setup with the final message that the Photon does not make it to the cloud.
  4. Photon is now flashing green
  5. my wifi standard (2.4 hz)

Any ideas? Should I return the item?
thanks
Allan

@Allan99, does your router also have 5.8GHz WiFi with the same SSID as your 2.4GHZ one?

Not all of these will apply in your situation but I’ll include the whole thing just in case:

Blinking Green (Wi-Fi Connection) Issues

If you configure your Photon (or P1) and only get to blinking green, here are some tips that may help:

First, a few known working situations that the Photon is not compatible with:

• If you are using a corporate or school network that uses WPA2 Enterprise, the Photon cannot be used at this time. If you require both a username and a password, or see a mention of 802.1(x), or RADIUS you’re using WPA2 Enterprise.

• If you are using a network that takes you to a web page where you need to either sign in or agree to terms and service when you first connect, using the Photon directly will be difficult or impossible. This is the case in some hotels and public Wi-Fi networks and is often referred to as Captive Portal.

• If your Wi-Fi network uses 5 GHz only, instead of the more common 2.4 GHz, the Photon cannot be used. The Wi-Fi radio is only compatible with 2.4 GHz networks.

For home users:

• If your router uses WEP encryption, you should upgrade your router to something more secure. However it may be possible to connect your Photon with some difficulty by following the WEP configuration instructions.

And the less common situations:

• If you get fast blinking green, especially in classroom and hack-a-thon type situations, it is possible that your network has run out of DHCP IP addresses.

• If your Wi-Fi network does not support DHCP, and only uses static IP addresses, it is possible, though somewhat difficult, to set up a Photon. You will need to flash a program like this by USB to set the IP address:

#include "Particle.h"

SYSTEM_THREAD(ENABLED);

void setup() {
	Serial.begin(9600);

IPAddress myAddress(192,168,1,33);
    IPAddress netmask(255,255,255,0);
    IPAddress gateway(192,168,1,1);
    IPAddress dns(192,168,1,1);
    WiFi.setStaticIP(myAddress, netmask, gateway, dns);

// now let's use the configured IP
    WiFi.useStaticIP();

// To switch back to dynamic IP, use:
    // WiFi.useDynamicIP();

// Turn on the D7 LED so we know the operation completed
    pinMode(D7, OUTPUT);
    digitalWrite(D7, HIGH);
}

void loop() {
}
  • If the Wi-Fi network restricts access to known device Ethernet MAC addresses, you’ll need to determine the MAC address and give it to the network administrator. Put the Photon in listening mode (blinking dark blue) by holding down the SETUP button, then use the Particle CLI command:
particle serial mac
  • If the Photon has ever been used with an external antenna, it may still be set to use the external antenna only. It won’t fall back to the internal antenna, even if there is no signal, when using the ANT_EXTERNAL mode. The following program resets the antenna.
#include "Particle.h"

STARTUP(WiFi.selectAntenna(ANT_INTERNAL));

void setup() {
	// So you can tell the operations have completed
	pinMode(D7, OUTPUT);
	digitalWrite(D7, HIGH);
}

void loop() {
}
2 Likes

No, just 2.4 hz.