Photon availability?

I would urgently need 5 more Photons (with headers) but ran out of possibilities to get them anytime soon in Europe…

These are the stores who used to have them in stock but now have none in stock and even mention “PHOTONH” as discontinued:

Digikey, Farnell, Mouser, Antratek, Distrilec, MCHobby, Bitsandparts, SOSsolutions, …

On the Particle Webshop it mentions “Estimated to ship in 54 weeks” !!!

Screenshot 2021-11-16 at 12.45.54

What is happening?

Hi FiDel- I’m sorry you’re impacted by this shortage. The photon is not discontinued, and we are continuing to manufacture it as much as we are able to. However, we’ve been constrained by the worldwide silicon shortage, which impacts the production of the Photon.

We’re working on speeding up those times but for now 54 weeks is the unfortunate reality.

1 Like

@FiDel are you not able to order the 2 at a time right now from the Particle store directly? When I’ve done that, they ship immediately (though I suppose you’ll need to place 3 separate orders).

No, it will be over a year until they receive extra Photons for their stock. See above message…

Here you go (ships worldwide): Particle Photon Kit-Tiny Wi-Fi Development Kit for IoT Project, Open Source 724131462161 | eBay.

And if you don’t order these in the next few hours hour, I probably will.

2 Likes

Thanks :pray: for this tip but I already found a solution in Europe thanks to @ScruffR
:ok_hand:t3:

2 Likes

Is the Photon still unavailable for a year? I’m supposed to be teaching a course this spring, and would really like to get my hands on about 25 of them.

Failing that, does anybody have a recommendation for hardware that would provide an equivalent experience and is available?

Hi @mprogers- Unfortunately there is still a long wait for Photons. However we do have Argons available now. They’re similar to the Photons but include other features such as Bluetooth. They’re a pretty good replacement though may involve some adapting of the curriculum. What’s your course on?

I have received a tip: Find Particle “Internet Buttons”!

Indeed, I found 5 pcs in Germany and bought them at half price… It was even cheaper for us in Europe than ordering from the US.

Thanks, Colleen. The course is IoT and Cloud Computing (a special topics course). I’ll take a look at the Argons. Do I have to rush to buy those, or are ample supplies available?

Michael

Sounds like a cool course! I would advise buying them soon to stay on the safe side but we currently we have a strong inventory of Argons.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.