No serial port identified on Boron

Hi,
So when I try to print data to the Serial monitor on my Boron, and in the Workbench Particle CLI when I enter the serial monitor command, it says:

No serial port identified

I could get the serial port to work before, but now all of a sudden it stopped working. No matter what command I do (--follow), which USB Cable I use, or which code I run, the Boron's serial port doesn't work and I tried troubleshooting, but nothing changed. Is my Boron faulty (it worked before)?

I am using Workbench on Windows 10.
Please help! Thanks!

Have you tried putting the device in Listening Mode and then check Device Manager whether the port gets listed there?

Yes, it does. As usb serial device (COM21)

Could it be that you have another Particle device connected at the same time?
In that case CLI wouldn't be able to decide which device to select and expects the user to choose.

Sadly no, I only have 1 particle device and that's the Boron.

I also noticed that someone else has the exact same problem at around the same time; could it be caused from something on Particle's end?

was just about to make a post here, its not working for 3 people now. and it all happened suddenly for all 3

What is going on!? Has someone contacted Particle about this? Maybe through a ticket?

BIG UPDATE!!
There is a new update for particle-cli: 3.16.0.
When I updated to that, the serial monitor worked!!

1 Like

It appears that I am experiencing the similar issue. One of my Boron's will show up on Port 21 under "other devices" in device manager. I can unplug it and plug in a Photon2 and it shows up in the port list in VSC and it is under Port 26 under the port list in device manager. I am using I do have the latest particle-cli installed. (re-installed this morning after killing the two particle folders) I can upload code to the Boron, it identifies it there, just not in the serial monitor. I tried multiple Borons. Works like normal with P2.

could you try typing in the command:

particle update-cli

just to see what happens.

It states "no plugins to update" when I try update-cli

A few things here:

1. you could try typing in the command:
npm install -g particle-cli

into the terminal in VS Code, not the Particle CLI. If that still doesn't work try #2

1. Try to uninstall the Particle extension in VS Code, and try to re-install it via this link: Workbench | Getting Started | Particle

Also check out this link this for more.

I am back to trying to get this straightened out.

I get a bunch of these "WARN" statements. I do not know where to go from here.

npm WARN deprecated set-value@0.4.3: Critical bug fixed in v3.0.1, please upgrade to the latest version.
npm WARN deprecated set-value@2.0.0: Critical bug fixed in v3.0.1, please upgrade to the latest version.
npm WARN deprecated mixin-deep@1.3.1: Critical bug fixed in v2.0.1, please upgrade to the latest version.
npm WARN deprecated ini@1.3.4: Please update to ini >=1.3.6 to avoid a prototype pollution issue
npm WARN deprecated minimatch@2.0.10: Please update to minimatch 3.0.2 or higher to avoid a RegExp
DoS issue
npm WARN deprecated urix@0.1.0: Please see GitHub - lydell/urix: [DEPRECATED] Makes Windows-style paths more unix and URI friendly.
npm WARN deprecated cryptiles@2.0.5: This version has been deprecated in accordance with the hapi support policy (hapi.im/support). Please upgrade to the latest version to get the best features, bug fixes, and security patches. If you are unable to upgrade at this time, paid support is available
for older versions (hapi.im/commercial).
npm WARN deprecated resolve-url@0.2.1: GitHub - lydell/resolve-url: [DEPRECATED] Like Node.js’ `path.resolve`/`url.resolve` for the browser.
npm WARN deprecated clone@1.0.2: XSS vulnerability fixed in v1.0.3
npm WARN deprecated source-map-url@0.4.0: See GitHub - lydell/source-map-url: [DEPRECATED] Tools for working with sourceMappingURL comments.
npm WARN deprecated debug@4.1.1: Debug versions >=3.2.0 <3.2.7 || >=4 <4.3.1 have a low-severity ReDos regression when used in a Node.js environment. It is recommended you upgrade to 3.2.7 or 4.3.1. (ReDos Vulnerability Regression Visibility Notice · Issue #797 · debug-js/debug · GitHub)
npm WARN deprecated boom@2.10.1: This version has been deprecated in accordance with the hapi support policy (hapi.im/support). Please upgrade to the latest version to get the best features, bug fixes, and security patches. If you are unable to upgrade at this time, paid support is available for
older versions (hapi.im/commercial).
npm WARN deprecated debug@3.2.6: Debug versions >=3.2.0 <3.2.7 || >=4 <4.3.1 have a low-severity ReDos regression when used in a Node.js environment. It is recommended you upgrade to 3.2.7 or 4.3.1. (ReDos Vulnerability Regression Visibility Notice · Issue #797 · debug-js/debug · GitHub)
npm WARN deprecated sntp@1.0.9: This module moved to @hapi/sntp. Please make sure to switch over as this distribution is no longer supported and may contain bugs and critical security issues.
npm WARN deprecated formidable@1.2.1: Please upgrade to latest, formidable@v2 or formidable@v3! Check these notes: https://bit.ly/2ZEqIau
npm WARN deprecated node-uuid@1.4.7: Use uuid module instead
npm WARN deprecated hoek@2.16.3: This version has been deprecated in accordance with the hapi support policy (hapi.im/support). Please upgrade to the latest version to get the best features, bug fixes, and security patches. If you are unable to upgrade at this time, paid support is available for
older versions (hapi.im/commercial).
npm WARN deprecated source-map-resolve@0.5.2: See GitHub - lydell/source-map-resolve: [DEPRECATED] Resolve the source map and/or sources for a generated file.
npm WARN deprecated mkdirp@0.5.1: Legacy versions of mkdirp are no longer supported. Please update
to mkdirp 1.x. (Note that the API surface has changed to use Promises in 1.x.)
npm WARN deprecated har-validator@2.0.6: this library is no longer supported
npm WARN deprecated hawk@3.1.3: This module moved to @hapi/hawk. Please make sure to switch over as this distribution is no longer supported and may contain bugs and critical security issues.
npm WARN deprecated superagent@2.3.0: Please upgrade to v7.0.2+ of superagent. We have fixed numerous issues with streams, form-data, attach(), filesystem errors not bubbling up (ENOENT on attach()), and all tests are now passing. See the releases tab for more information at https://github.com/visionmedia/superagent/releases.
npm WARN deprecated superagent@2.3.0: Please upgrade to v7.0.2+ of superagent. We have fixed numerous issues with streams, form-data, attach(), filesystem errors not bubbling up (ENOENT on attach()), and all tests are now passing. See the releases tab for more information at https://github.com/visionmedia/superagent/releases.
npm WARN deprecated is-my-json-valid@2.15.0: catastrophic backtracking in regexes could potentially lead to REDOS attack, upgrade to 2.17.2 as soon as possible
npm WARN deprecated superagent@5.1.2: Please upgrade to v7.0.2+ of superagent. We have fixed numerous issues with streams, form-data, attach(), filesystem errors not bubbling up (ENOENT on attach()), and all tests are now passing. See the releases tab for more information at https://github.com/visionmedia/superagent/releases.
npm WARN deprecated core-js@2.6.5: core-js@<3.23.3 is no longer maintained and not recommended for usage due to the number of issues. Because of the V8 engine whims, feature detection in old core-js versions could cause a slowdown up to 100x even if nothing is polyfilled. Some versions have web compatibility issues. Please, upgrade your dependencies to the actual version of core-js.
npm WARN deprecated core-js@2.6.10: core-js@<3.23.3 is no longer maintained and not recommended for usage due to the number of issues. Because of the V8 engine whims, feature detection in old core-js versions could cause a slowdown up to 100x even if nothing is polyfilled. Some versions have web compatibility issues. Please, upgrade your dependencies to the actual version of core-js.
npm WARN deprecated core-js@3.4.7: core-js@<3.23.3 is no longer maintained and not recommended for usage due to the number of issues. Because of the V8 engine whims, feature detection in old core-js versions could cause a slowdown up to 100x even if nothing is polyfilled. Some versions have web compatibility issues. Please, upgrade your dependencies to the actual version of core-js.

changed 697 packages in 16s

31 packages are looking for funding
run npm fund for details

Does your code still compile and flash to your device? Because I had something similar but mine still is able to compile/flash.

Yes I can still compile and flash, I have been working on a Boron today attempting to find a way to pick up the time zone its in and DTC. It seems like something with the driver specific to the Boron's is not happy, It The P2 and Argon serial port monitor works like it should. I can go to my Linux Mint machine and the the serial port monitor I use on it works ( I have never been able to get the serial port monitor to work in VSC with Linux Mint) It is a permission thing that is really aggravating.

If you've tried reinstalling Workbench and updating CLI already and still can't get the serial monitor to work, I suggest two things:

1. try this command for serial monitor instead of the common one:
particle usb listen 
  1. Try to view this page for things on Windows drivers.
1 Like

@joe_boron

YOUR MY HERO TODAY! That did the trick. The old driver was still there. Which is wierd as it was installed when I re-installed the CLI a few weeks ago. It did only affect the Boron and nothing else.

THANKS AGAIN!