New out of box photon rebooting every 10-90 seconds

Hello all. I just unboxed my photon and it seems to be rebooting on me every 10-90 seconds.

This is straight out of the box (after setup). sometimes it goes white first then blinks green then “breaths” cyan. sometimes it goes straight from breathing to flashing green and back.

I figured it was maybe something the default program did so I just loaded a really basic blink function instead.

int ledPin = D7;              // LED connected to digital pin D1

void setup()
{
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);    // sets the digital pin as output
  Particle.publish("my-event","boot");
}

void loop()
{
  digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH); // sets the LED on
  delay(1000);                // waits for a second
  digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);  // sets the LED off
  delay(1000);                // waits for a second
}

Unfortunately it’s still in it’s weird infinite reboot cycle :frowning:

Checking the event logs i get a lot of online offline every few seconds:

Does anyone have any idea what’s going on?

Did you let the device do its initial self-update as mentioned here

It made it through setup. and did the purple update thing. Please note my picture where it’s coming on and off line. I’m not saying it did this once. I’m saying it’s doing this continually. reset. connect. run for a really short time. reboot or reconnect. repeat.

It’s doing it really frequently. Can you place it in Safe mode to see if it still happens?

1 Like

@chris1 how are you powering the Photon?

2 Likes

@kennethlimcp
It was happy for a good 5-6 min then started the cycle again.
This time i’m not seeing the white reboot, but that happened rarely before. I’m seeing flashing green flashing cyan then breathing purple good for a minute the back again

Could it be temperature related? the photon is getting warm (not hot). it’s also colder ambient now that it’s morning and I left my office door open.

@peekay123
I’ve been powering it from the usbport on my monitor (~4.8v at the device) and i’ve also tried my benchtop powersupply set to 5.0v (applied to “VIN”)

I did some more testing. I put it in a cooler room (~65f) and it ran fine for an hour. I came back a little later and the sun had hit it through a window and it was cycling on an off again. I even saw a single red blink in there.

I’m going to see if sparkfun will take it back since it’s got to be a hardware problem.

1 Like