Mobile app requires update on Argon after OS 1.4.0 was flashed

I started with a fresh Argon out of the box to simulate what is going to happen during manufacturing. I flashed the OS, bootloader and softdevice of version 1.4.0 with CLI. I then connect the Particle mobile app to get the Argon claimed and connected to the cloud. The mobile app indicates that I need to update the OS before I can proceed.
I manually flashed the needed OS updates so that this will not happen during production and cost 20 minutes time per device.
When I do a particle inspect in CLI I get:

Platform: 12 - Argon
Modules
  Bootloader module #0 - version 500, main location, 49152 bytes max size
    Integrity: PASS
    Address Range: PASS
    Platform: PASS
    Dependencies: PASS
  System module #1 - version 1402, main location, 671744 bytes max size
      Bootloader module #0 - version 401
      Radio stack module #0 - version 202
  User module #1 - version 6, main location, 131072 bytes max size
    UUID: A22B34E47664B1E50607866D2E5818181C933604363F39015E5564EABA58F631
      System module #1 - version 1401
  NCP module #0 - version 3, main location, 1536000 bytes max size
  Radio stack module #0 - version 202, main location, 192512 bytes max size

I notice that NCP is version 3. I believe the most recent version is 5.

I tried then to perform a particle update… Same results.

I need to have the manufacturing build time minimized and can’t afford to have the app update each of the devices.
How do I navigate around this?

Hi, I maintain iOS app at Particle. The easiest way to learn what happens there (assuming you own iOS device) is to let mobile app flash one device, then share app logs (in device list view, pressing top left icon) with your computer and checking what specific files did the app flash. I am not sure if Android logs contain urls to files that were flashed.

One thing to note is that mobile app is not flashing latest device OS as it is quite lengthy process which happens much faster if flashed via USB or via cloud. Mobile app only flashes “good-enough” version that we are confident enough is stable enough to get your device online.

Hope this helps.

Yes, they do. @varnerb , if you have an Android device, the process of sharing logs is the same, but the icon is in the upper right instead of the left.

Thank you both for the responses. Turns out there are four parts that need to be flashed to update to a new OS release. The NCP portion can be done through the cloud on connection or manually. The instructions say nothing about this but after I got some technical support and he sent me the files and batch file they use, I opened the python code and discovered the NCP file gets flashed as well.

The four files to be flashed for an Argon:
bootloader
ncp firmware
system part1
softdevice