I’m attempting to make a tool to take brand new Argons and complete the following steps:
- Update them with
particle usb update
- Flash them with tinker to ensure they’re in a good starting state
particle flash --usb tinker
- Flash them with NCP OTA firmware with the command:
particle flash --serial argon-ncp-firmware-0.0.5-ota.bin
- Add wifi creds via
particle serial wifi
- Flash with our binary
- Name and claim to particle account etc.
I’ve noticed that the serial flash of the OTA firmware takes around 45-60 seconds with a number of restarts, whereas when setting up Argons through the mobile app by scanning the barcode, the setup of the device seems to take considerably less time.
My questions are:
- Does the setup by mobile flash the OTA firmware onto the argon, and if it does, is this non-serial method possible to implement outside of the Particle IoT app?
- Would it make sense to include this OTA firmware on the devices by default so this extra step isn’t required when setting up new Argons, or is this only used by select customers?
I have searched through forum posts and not really found too much information on how the mobile app gets this firmware onto the Argons, but forgive me if I’ve there’s already been a post and I’ve missed it.
Thanks for your time,