Argon SOS+1 - wifi credentials seem to kill it

Help please people.

I develop on an Argon. It’s been working fine.

Tweaked my code a few days ago - I just changed the initialisation of a bool variable from FALSE to TRUE, flashed, and the board began going into SOS +1.

…then the fun began.

It wouldn’t go into safe mode - it would go straight to SOS +1.

So I went the factory reset, then ran particle update - then flashed tinker.

Now the Argon is back in listening mode - so I ran android setup - it pairs etc. as soon as it gets wifi credentials it crashes and we’re back to SOS +1.

Repeated several times - same result.

Tried a reset, update then fed the board wifi credentials and we’re back to SOS +1.

particle serial identify
Your device id is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Your system firmware version is 1.3.1

particle serial inspect
Platform: 12 - Argon
Modules
Bootloader module #0 - version 401, main location, 49152 bytes max size
Integrity: PASS
Address Range: PASS
Platform: PASS
Dependencies: PASS
System module #1 - version 1321, main location, 671744 bytes max size
Bootloader module #0 - version 401
User module #1 - version 6, main location, 131072 bytes max size
UUID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
System module #1 - version 1321
NCP module #0 - version 5, main location, 1536000 bytes max size
Radio stack module #0 - version 169, main location, 192512 bytes max size

Now what?

Clear your credentials, reflash Tinker and reapply the WiFi credentials via CLI.

How do I clear the credentials?

Press/hold the SETUP/MODE button for 10+ seconds till the RGB LED starts rapid blue blinking.

Tried that before… but sure here goes:

Nope, same result.

Same result?

• Starting in Listening Mode?
  • SOS+1? or
  • both?

Try flashing this firmware via DFU Mode

#include "Particle.h"
#include "dct.h"

SYSTEM_MODE(SEMI_AUTOMATIC);
void setup() {
    const uint8_t val = 0x01;
    dct_write_app_data(&val, DCT_SETUP_DONE_OFFSET, 1);
    pinMode(D7, OUTPUT);
    digitalWrite(D7, HIGH);
    Particle.connect();
}

And it does this:

video

Not sure if its related but I move between 4 WiFi neworks with this device - I’ve seen it SOS before, but then settle down and connect to the network after a while.

Try taking the device out the breadboard.
What happens with the device only powered via USB or LiPo respectively?

Yup - did all that.

The board usually sits in a feather-wing tripler with a relay board and an INA219.

Where is the “resetting your board back to fresh-out-of-the-box instructions?”.

Searching for recover/restore/firmware/blah blah blah… gives me so many different possible solutions.

…the only other thing I can add is that I feel like the board has been doing this for some time. As mentioned above, this board moves between wifi networks. I think I noticed that when I powered up the board it would go through this routine a few times then start normally. I just assumed it was working its way through the list of networks/credentials.

Any clues? Seems like it might be a hardware issue?

If you haven’t populated the factory reset location with some valid firmware for your use-case, the location will be void and the “normal” factory reset procedure won’t fully work.
You also don’t want your device to get back into the fresh-out-of-the-box state as this will probably put it back to a rather old device OS version which is generally more buggy than newer releases.

However, you can follow the instructions given in the firmware update announcements to install the a healthy firmware, device OS and potentially also bootloder, NCP firmware and nRF SoftDevice.

I’d start with (using the lates official release - currently 1.3.1)

• press/hold MODE for 10+ seconds to clear credentials and some “one time settings”
  • in DFU Mode run particle flash --usb tinker -v
  • in DFU Mode run particle flash --usb argon-system-part1@1.3.1.bin -v from here
  • in Listening Mode run particle flash --serial argon-bootloader@1.3.1.bin -v from here
  • in DFU Mode run particle flash --usb argon-softdevice@1.3.1.bin -v from here
  • start the normal setup again

If this does not help it might be that your device has got some hardware issue and a support ticked would be warranted.

For the record, it was indeed a hardware fault and our friendly team at Particle have sent me a replacement. :blush: