Issues powering relays with the boron

So I want to make a ‘smart’ locker with the Boron. More accurately, I want to make 4 of them together controlled by one Boron. You press a button on your phone, the locker unlocks or locks. The lock as it stands would be a 12V actuator that I could drive either via a couple relays or with an H-bridge sort of thing.

My issue is that nearly everything I’ve seen (and tested) doesn’t really play effectively with 3.3V - most require 5V. I noticed they had a particle relay shield (not available anymore?) in some of the other projects. Has anyone found a tried and true solution for switching 12V or 24V with the 3.3V logic available on the Boron? I’ve been chipping away at this for a while and thought I’d see if anyone had a good solution.

I have been switching a 12V source using this product with a Boron device:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2923

If you want to use relays, ncd.io has a wide variety of relay boards for Particle devices.

1 Like

@rickkas7
This looks pretty robust - actually, thanks! It is a bit on the expensive side compared to the hobbyist grade stuff, especially for some of the larger relay modules. I suppose that comes with easier integration and a more reliable end-product. I’m sort of in POC at the moment, so that might play in later, but it’s really nice to know. Thanks for the rec!

@robc
I was tempted to get a few of these since I have one of my builds using featherwing, but it gets a bit dicey looking when you go beyond the tripler and start stacking stuff haha. I might order a few just to putz around with. Thanks.

hi, I've been using some like this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/Homyl-4-Channel-Module-Expansion-Control/dp/B07G161BYR/ref=sr_1_26?crid=2TQXOCUD30TBQ&keywords=arduino+relays+3v3&qid=1647370498&sprefix=arduino+relays+3v3%2Caps%2C71&sr=8-26

One thing that got me few times, that I want them to trigger HIGH, meaning when the input goes high the relay closes. Sometimes the ones they sell, and if you don't pay extra attention you might end up buying one like that, are trigger low, meaning a LOW closes the relay. This may be problematic for when the Particle device starts...

Good luck!

3 Likes

@gusgonnet
Looks simple and intuitive. Should get things moving pretty quick I think with minimal hook up issues. Thanks.

1 Like

You could use an optocoupler. They are cheap and easy to use and provide a simple solution for exactly what you are trying to do.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.