[ISSUE] Particle workbench gets confused and cannot build if Xenon is in the project name

I create a new particle project and call it TestProject. I set the build configuration to Xenon and rc.27. All builds just fine.

I go through the EXACT same process to create another particle project, in the same root directory and call it XenonTempSensor. I set the build configuration like in the TestProject.

When I try to compile the stub ino file it gives the following error.

> Executing task: make -f '/Users/johndoe/.particle/toolchains/buildscripts/1.0.1/Makefile' compile-user <

"/Users/johndoe/.vscode/extensions/particle.particle-vscode-core-1.0.0-alpha.7/src/cli/bin/darwin/amd64/particle" preprocess /Users/johndoe/Documents/projects/XenonTempSensor/src/XenonTempSensor.ino
cd "/Users/johndoe/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/0.8.0-rc.27/firmware-0.8.0-rc.27//main" && make all
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
make[1]: Entering directory `/Users/johndoe/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/0.8.0-rc.27/firmware-0.8.0-rc.27/main'
make -C ../modules/xenon/user-part all
make[2]: Entering directory `/Users/johndoe/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/0.8.0-rc.27/firmware-0.8.0-rc.27/modules/xenon/user-part'

make -f ../../../modules/shared/nRF52840/build_linker_script.mk PREBUILD=1
make[3]: Entering directory `/Users/johndoe/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/0.8.0-rc.27/firmware-0.8.0-rc.27/modules/xenon/user-part'
Creating module_user_memory.ld ...
make[3]: Leaving directory `/Users/johndoe/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/0.8.0-rc.27/firmware-0.8.0-rc.27/modules/xenon/user-part'

make -C ../../../user
make[3]: Entering directory `/Users/johndoe/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/0.8.0-rc.27/firmware-0.8.0-rc.27/user'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/Users/johndoe/Dropbox/projects/XenonTemp/XenonTempSensor//src/XenonTempSensor.cpp', needed by `../build/target/user/platform-14-m/XenonTempSensor/src/XenonTempSensor.o'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/Users/johndoe/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/0.8.0-rc.27/firmware-0.8.0-rc.27/user'
make[2]: *** [user] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/Users/johndoe/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/0.8.0-rc.27/firmware-0.8.0-rc.27/modules/xenon/user-part'
make[1]: *** [modules/xenon/user-part] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/Users/johndoe/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/0.8.0-rc.27/firmware-0.8.0-rc.27/main'
make: *** [compile-user] Error 2
The terminal process terminated with exit code: 2

Press any key to close the terminal.

I need to try some other examples but it appears to get confused if Xenon is in the name of the project?

can you try running the Particle: Clean application & DeviceOS (local) task - from VSCode’s main menu, select “Terminal > Run Task…” - and then try reproducing your issue?

That did the trick. Apparently going back and forth in VSCode via file-> open recents where I am developing code for both the argon and xenon gets the particle stuff confused. Cleaning fixed the issue, hooray! :slight_smile:

nice. when in doubt, clean :grin:

Apparently going back and forth in VSCode via file-> open recents where I am developing code for both the argon and xenon...

maybe try out the new multiroot workspace support we've added in the alpha7 update: Developer Preview Changelog - January 14, 2019

you'll still need to clean regularly (e.g. when switching the project you are building) but at least you'll have all your projects open in one view :+1:

Great suggestion

I’m having the same kind of issue with the release 1.0 version of Particle Workbench. I’ve created a default project with no code and it still doesn’t compile and provides the same error.

> Executing task: make -f '/Users/xxx/.particle/toolchains/buildscripts/1.5.0/Makefile' compile-user -s <
../../../build/module.mk:239: warning: overriding commands for target `/Users/xxx/Local'
../../../build/module.mk:232: warning: ignoring old commands for target `/Users/xxx/Local'
../../../build/module.mk:239: warning: overriding commands for target `Files/dev/particle/GardenMon/GardenMon/target//Local'
../../../build/module.mk:232: warning: ignoring old commands for target `Files/dev/particle/GardenMon/GardenMon/target//Local'
../../../build/module.mk:248: warning: overriding commands for target `/Users/xxx/Local'
../../../build/module.mk:239: warning: ignoring old commands for target `/Users/xxx/Local'
../../../build/module.mk:248: warning: overriding commands for target `Files/dev/particle/GardenMon/GardenMon/target//Local'
../../../build/module.mk:239: warning: ignoring old commands for target `Files/dev/particle/GardenMon/GardenMon/target//Local'
../../../build/module.mk:272: warning: overriding commands for target `/Users/xxx/Local'
../../../build/module.mk:248: warning: ignoring old commands for target `/Users/xxx/Local'
../../../build/module.mk:277: warning: overriding commands for target `/Users/xxx/Local'
../../../build/module.mk:272: warning: ignoring old commands for target `/Users/xxx/Local'
../../../build/module.mk:293: warning: overriding commands for target `/Users/xxx/Local'
../../../build/module.mk:277: warning: ignoring old commands for target `/Users/xxx/Local'
make[2]: Circular /Users/xxx/Local <- /Users/xxx/Local dependency dropped.
build.mk:65: *** &quot;No sources found in /Users/xxx/Local Files/dev/particle/GardenMon/GardenMon/&quot;. Stop.
make[2]: *** [user] Error 2
make[1]: *** [modules/electron/user-part] Error 2
make: *** [compile-user] Error 2

The terminal process terminated with exit code: 2

Press any key to close the terminal.

The current version would be 1.4.2
Why not try that?