Inability to flash from workbench (particle.exe: no such file or directory)

We had an issue literally just start showing up in our classroom today.

In particle workbench, local compile works file. However, when we go to flash, we get the following error:


/bin/sh: c:/Users/ddcio/.vscode/extensions/particle.particle-vscode-core-1.16.17/src/cli/bin/windows/amd64/particle.exe: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [C:/Users/ddcio/.particle/toolchains/buildscripts/1.15.0/Makefile:167: flash-app] Error 127
make: *** [C:/Users/ddcio/.particle/toolchains/buildscripts/1.15.0/Makefile:111: flash-user] Error 2

 *  The terminal process "C:\Users\ddcio\.particle\toolchains\buildtools\1.1.1\bin\bash.exe '-c', 'make -f 'C:/Users/ddcio/.particle/toolchains/buildscripts/1.15.0/Makefile' flash-user -s'" terminated with exit code: 2. 
 *  Press any key to close the terminal.

If we go into the target directory and use the particle-cli: particle flash --usb xxx.cpp we can successfully flash.

We are on:
particle cli version: 3.22.0
particle workbench 1.16.18

We just noticed there appears to have been an update to 1.16.18


UPDATE: noticing the path was stuck on 1.16.17,so if I manually place Workbench back to v1.16.17 it seems to work

Is there a possibility that the Workbench plugin was auto-updated (that's the default behavior) but the affected students didn't click yes to upgrade the toolchains? That's the behavior you would see in that scenario.

@rickkas7 Yes, it was auto-updated. I cant' say for sure if the students got a toolchain update message, I do know that I didn't not get a message to update the toolchains on my instructor workstation.

I tried 1.16.18 at home today. Both were auto-updated

  1. M2 Mac - did not get a message regarding toolchains, but everything worked fine.
  2. Windows - I have a desktop that I don't use with Particle Workbench very often (as the build time is so much faster on linux/mac) -- to give you a feel, I had been using Device OS: 1.5.2. As I had a Photon2, I had to manually update the toolchain to 5.8.0 and things worked fine.

When I am back in the classroom this week, we will uninstall and then reinstall the 5.8.0 toolchain and see if that fixes things.

thank you for the insights.