Google-services needed for Photon-tinker-android?

I’m trying to play with the Photon-tinker-android but can’t get the app or any of the test/example apps to build following the directions in the read.me.

I’m getting on build fail the error “Android resource linking failed”, output below. From my research, it seems like this is related to a missing google-services.json. I tried creating this file on https://firebase.google.com/ and inserting in both the top directory and top of the app directory, and app/src/various builds. (And adding as dependency in the build.gradle as instructed).

But the build error remains the same. Maybe I’m not even on the right track? I should be able to get the example apps to build…but no luck. Help please.

Android resource linking failed
Output:  C:\Users\%USER%\OneDrive\Android\photon-tinker-android-master\setup_testapp\build\intermediates\incremental\mergeDebugResources\merged.dir\values-v28\values-v28.xml:7: error: resource android:attr/dialogCornerRadius not found.
C:\Users\%USER%\OneDrive\Android\photon-tinker-android-master\setup_testapp\build\intermediates\incremental\mergeDebugResources\merged.dir\values-v28\values-v28.xml:11: error: resource android:attr/dialogCornerRadius not found.
C:\Users\%USER%\OneDrive\Android\photon-tinker-android-master\setup_testapp\build\intermediates\incremental\mergeDebugResources\merged.dir\values\values.xml:1117: error: resource android:attr/fontVariationSettings not found.
C:\Users\%USER%\OneDrive\Android\photon-tinker-android-master\setup_testapp\build\intermediates\incremental\mergeDebugResources\merged.dir\values\values.xml:1118: error: resource android:attr/ttcIndex not found.
error: failed linking references.

Command: C:\Users\%USER%\.gradle\caches\transforms-1\files-1.1\aapt2-3.2.1-4818971-windows.jar\e177196753874ea288c581c35f68d80a\aapt2-3.2.1-4818971-windows\aapt2.exe link -I\
        C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platforms\android-27\android.jar\
        --manifest\
        C:\Users\%USER%\OneDrive\Android\photon-tinker-android-master\setup_testapp\build\intermediates\merged_manifests\debug\processDebugManifest\merged\AndroidManifest.xml\
        -o\
        C:\Users\%USER%\OneDrive\Android\photon-tinker-android-master\setup_testapp\build\intermediates\processed_res\debug\processDebugResources\out\resources-debug.ap_\
        -R\
        @C:\Users\%USER%\OneDrive\Android\photon-tinker-android-master\setup_testapp\build\intermediates\incremental\processDebugResources\resources-list-for-resources-debug.ap_.txt\
        --auto-add-overlay\
        --java\
        C:\Users\%USER%\OneDrive\Android\photon-tinker-android-master\setup_testapp\build\generated\not_namespaced_r_class_sources\debug\processDebugResources\r\
        --custom-package\
        io.particle.devicesetup.testapp\
        -0\
        apk\
        --output-text-symbols\
        C:\Users\%USER%\OneDrive\Android\photon-tinker-android-master\setup_testapp\build\intermediates\symbols\debug\R.txt\
        --no-version-vectors
Daemon:  AAPT2 aapt2-3.2.1-4818971-windows Daemon #0

When I run the example app I get:

12:54 PM	Emulator: ERROR:/buildbot/src/android/emu-3.0-release/external/qemu/fpu/softfloat.c:486:round_canonical: code should not be reached

12:54 PM	Emulator: Warning: QObject::~QObject: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread ((null):0, (null))

12:54 PM	Emulator: Process finished with exit code 3