I am new to using a spark core, but do have experience with embedded systems. I was not able to flash the simple led-blink code successfully.
First and foremost:
- I am working out of an university, so I am using my phone as an AP for the core. The AP is called HBS4 and is using WPA2 security.
- I installed CLI and ran setup spark and followed all the prompts. My core was able to connect properly and was “breathing cyan”.
- (On my laptop, connected to a different network initially) I was able to see my core under my account and was showing up as online.
- I tried flashing the led blink code, and the main LED did flash magenta.
- The online IDE said it was done flashing and was back to “ready” state
- There was no response from the core - it was still flashing magenta, so I naturally reset it.
- It was back to breathing cyan, and no signs of the blinking LED
- I tried to wait for the magenta LED to stop blinking when upon next flash… I waited for 5 mins, went for a break, came back and it was still flashing.
- I tried to connect my laptop to my phone’s AP and re-flashing it. Same issue… magenta kept flashing, and breathing cyan after reset.
- I tried to download the firmware.bin file generated using the online IDE using CLI when I put the core in “listening” mode, but still no luck/couldn’t get it to work. If I want to download a bin through USB it has to be in DFU mode - but I thought that was only reserved for updating some of the crucial components.
- I have tried to use SYSTEM_MODE(SEMI_AUTOMATIC) as well as SYSTEM_MODE(MANUAL) - still no luck.
I don’t have a router at university where I can try through a “normal” network. But I don’t think the issue lies in the connection as it is able to “breathe cyan”. I have been trying things for a while now, but nothing has worked. Let me know if i’m doing something wrong/any pointers will be much appreciated.
I have 3 cores, 2 bought straight from spark.io last month and the last core from seedstudio, also within the last month. So I don’t think it requires a “deep-update”. Just to clarify here - I have tried with the other two cores too, making sure the right one is selected to flash to. Neither worked so I have only been fiddling around with one for now.
Once again any help is much appreciated. If I’ve managed to overlook something, please do point it out.
Thanks in advance everyone!