Flash device failed. Server error

Having problems with the cloud compiler at the moment. Only one in three complies will go through. Anyone?

1 Like

Hi @jenschr,

Can you tell me what platform / firmware-version you’re compiling for, and when you saw failures? Are you seeing “flash” errors, or “compile” errors? E.g: when your device is running in safe-mode, does the flash work every time?

Thanks,
David

1 Like

This was using Firmware 0.6.2 on a P1 module. The failures started an hour before I posted and lasted about an hour after that. Then it went back to normal and compiled every time.

As for errors - I got the exact message above “Flash device failed. Server error.” No compilation error or other output. The device in question has a device ID that ends with the numbers “3737”.

Safe-mode wasn’t tried, but as I said - it simply started working with no changes to code. I was just tweaking two variables at the time, so it was kinda annoying to have to Flash 3 times each time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @jenschr,

It’s possible that the flash issues you’re seeing are related to the firmware you’re running on your device. Checkout using the system tread, or making sure you’re code isn’t blocking for too long during time you’re wanting to flash new firmware:

https://docs.particle.io/reference/firmware/photon/#system-thread

Thanks,
David

1 Like

I’m quite sure the code does not block, but System Thread was VERY interesting!

Am experiencing the very same issue right now. Completely unable to upload this time. Getting “Flash device failed.
Server error” when compiling from command line. Still using 0.6.2 on a custom P1 setup.

I’m able to flash the same device from the web IDE. It looks like the cloud compiler is hanging. Can anyone please give it a kick?

Now works again. Realised that this also happens when the device you’re flashing isn’t registered as being online.

I am having the same problem.

• Cloud IDE will flash my Photon
  • I can't flash it from Particle CLI 1.23.1 in DFU mode

What is wrong?

How do you build?
How do you flash?
What system firmware are you targeting?

The commands would be interesting to see.
The messages there don’t seem to fit the typical file hierarchy for a valid v2 project.

I always using the Web IDE
I flash with either the Flash button in the IDE or downloading the .bin file and using DFU mode (yellow light)
I target firmware 0.6.2