Eternal particle handshake fast cyan blink

Hi everyone,

I have been using Electrons for about a year and have never had this problem. When setting up my new Electron I never successfully claimed the device because it never completed the particle handshake. It is present in my billing tab though. I have tried updating firmware, releasing the sim card, and the keys doctor with no luck. When I turn it on all goes smoothly until the particle handshake fast cyan blinking, but it stays stuck there forever.

Hello,

Let me ping someone that might be able to help, @tylercpeacock are you able to assist?

Kyle

1 Like

I also have a device that previously had no problem connecting and now only blinks cyan rapidly.

It’s often necessary to do both a keys doctor and keys server.

The full instructions are:

Put the Electron into Listening mode (blinking blue) by holding down MODE until it blinks blue. Then issue the CLI command:

particle identify

Save the Device ID; you’ll need it later.

Then put the Electron in DFU mode by holding down both the RESET and MODE buttons, releasing RESET and continuing to hold down MODE until it blinks yellow and issue the commands below, in order.

particle keys server
particle keys doctor YOUR_DEVICE_ID

If you get this error under Windows:

'openssl' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

and you have used the CLI installer as described above, it may work if you do:

cd c:\OpenSSL-Win32\bin
particle keys doctor YOUR_DEVICE_ID

There are additional tips for a missing openssl error on this page, including tips for Mac OS X and Linux.

If that doesn’t work, the best troubleshooting technique is to get a cloud debug log which will print to the USB serial the actual reason why the handshake is failing.

Also, if you create a new support ticket you can include your device ID so the cloud logs can be checked as well.

4 Likes

I did get an ssl error on mac and windows, so I’ll take a look through the tips. Thank you!

I gave it a go and your tip got me around the openssl recognition error, but now I get an undefined error. It says to make sure it’s in DFU mode, but it is.

Here is the message:

File downloaded successfully
Invalid DFU suffix signature
A valid DFU suffix signature will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
Saved!
attempting to add a new public key for device xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Error sending public key to server: Permission Denied
Make sure your device is in DFU mode (blinking yellow), and that your computer is online.
Error - undefined

@kmsoldner, you may want to do a particle logout followed by a particle login and logging in again. Then try the keys commands again.

1 Like

same readout :frowning:

@kmsoldner, do you have the correct device ID? Is that device registered on the cloud?

Yes, it has an ID, but it isn’t claimed. It only shows in my billing tab, not my devices tab. It can’t connect to the cloud so I’m not sure if it can be registered.

@kmsoldner, you need to follow @rickkas7’s recommendation above to open a support ticket.

ok, thank you.

In this case, the permission denied error for kmsoldner happened for the other, less common case. The most common reason is that the device is claimed to another account, but in this case it was that the device was never provisioned for cloud access. That does require a support ticket to find out, because the CLI error is the same for both reasons.

4 Likes