Direct photon connection

Hello,

Is there a way to directly connect to a photon and not use a network. Can I use wifi between my computer and the photon and not go through any networks. I don’t know if this is possible.

I saw the Webduino project and that is close but the photon still needs a network to work through.

Can WiFi work that way?

thanks
Joshua

1 Like

It is possible to manually control your wifi connection on the photon and operate independent of the particle cloud.

This is possible through manual mode, and controlling wifi.

What protocol are you planning on using? MQTT?

Thanks for the quick reply. Not quite what I was looking for.

What I want to do is be able to connect to my photon excluding any network. Say I am deep in the Sahara desert, no router, no network signal for 1000 miles, and want to update a variable on my photon I am carrying.

I get out my mac and my photon power them on and connect to my photon using wifi and update my variable.

Any idea how to do it?

Thanks
Joshua

I'm confused what you are asking. Would your mac and photon be near each other? Does the mac connect to the photon's hotspot or the reverse?

It's possible. Have a look for 'softAP' in both the forums and the docs.
Though, if you're hooking up to the device over a wire, you might as well use that to communicate. serial communication should make that relatively easy.

1 Like

Hello,

I did have a look at the softAP and it may be what I was looking for but i could only ever find the way to set up the photon using softAP (ie setting up a network connection, SSID, password etc) I could not find a way to have a program running and access through softAP. Is that possible?

thanks
josh

1 Like

Something like this?