Connect adafruit relay featherwing

Hi

can somebody let me know the wiring diagram as to how to connect a xenon to adafruit relay featherwing ?

just wire up the relay control pin to whatever GPIO you like!

the adafruit documentation says it needs 100 ma to drive the relay, can we source that much current from any GPIO pin ? documentation also talks about soldering the connections below the boards, can you please help me explain that ?

Individual GPIO pins cannot, however there’s a transistor that drives the relay coil and there is enough power from the regulator to energize that relay.

There’s also a diagram of which pads on the bottom correspond to which Particle pins in the docs:

https://docs.particle.io/community/feather/#relays

does that mean we need to connect 3v3 of xenon to 3v of the relay for power ?
I can solder close D6 on the relay, this can be connected to any GPIO on the xenon ?
I would much appreciate if there is a schematic available ?

That depends on how you connect the two FeatherWing-formfactor devices.
If you put them in a FeatherWing Doubler/Trippler the respective pins are interconnected as if you would stack the boards.
If you just put them in a breadboard or use jumper wires, then yes, you need to connect 3V (to 3v3) and GND (to GND) and the respective control GPIO (and optionally for completeness RST (to RST) too).

Adafruit usualy provides the a hook-up guide and schematics for their boards for anybody to check for themselves

thanks for the help. I have close solder the D6 pin as per the attached screenshot.

that pin is suppose to be the sixth pin on 12 pin side, when I connect the xenon to this pin and do a digitalwrite high nothing happens. what could be the problem?

I am using breadboard.

How have you connected everything (power too)? A picture of your setup where everything is clearly visible could help here.

And can you show your code too?

To double check whether you have soldered the correct jumper you can measure continuity between the pad and the pin.
On the relay boart there also is a Signal testpoint you can use to either check the level of the selected GPIO or trigger the relay by manually (e.g. via jumper wire) applying the desired level (the pinMode() of the selected GPIO pin should be INPUT when you do that).

Attached is the wiring and the pin I soldeeed.

It looks your control jumper wire is not plugged into the D6 pin on your relay - that rather looks like D5.
When you are counting the sixth pin you need to start counting on the same side on both boards. If you orient both boards the same way the miscounting may be less likely :wink:
When your Argon is oriented East-West you have got your relay board oriented West-East.

1 Like