BSEC Sensor Library

• Compiling with Particle CLI like particle compile photon.
  • Using BME680 4-in-1 sensor.

I’ve been able to retrieve gas resistance values, but it’s incredibly difficult to interpret them into anything useful beyond maybe aggregating them over a long time and collecting subjective feedback… I noticed that Bosch makes a binary-only library for interpreting IAQ from this sensor: https://www.bosch-sensortec.com/bst/products/all_products/bsec How can I include this headers-only library via particle compile photon? Do I need to migrate to local toolchain for this?

Let me ping someone that might be able to help, @rickkas7 or @ParticleD are you able to assist?

@warriorofwire,

My apologies, I have edited this post to correct my oops.
The STM32F205 is in fact part of the ARM Cortex family.

I think you will need to do a local build to have a chance of this working.

Particle Dev or Particle Build will definitely not work since they compile in the cloud.

Hi @cyclin_al, huge fan of your work & thanks for your reply!

I’m looking at https://docs.particle.io/datasheets/photon-(wifi)/photon-datasheet/ and see STM32F205RGY6 120Mhz ARM Cortex M3 in the P0 module. Looking at my Photon on my desk, it is marked P0. I see (the 2nd row) a GCC-compiled ARM Cortex M3 distribution of the BSEC library at the 1st post url. Is this not suitable?

It is not possible to use a binary library with any of the cloud compilers (Particle Build Web IDE, Particle Dev Atom IDE, or Particle CLI).

It is possible using the to include a ARM Cortex M3 gcc library (.a) using the local gcc-arm build chain, however.

Thanks for the confirmation. I’ll work through getting the local build chain running.

@warriorofwire Did you manage to get it working with a local build?

I am trying the bsec_iot_example.ino example file. My folder structure is as follows:

BME680BSECTest
    inc
       bme680.c
       bme680.h
       bme680_defs.h
       bsec_datatypes.h
       bsec_interface.h
       libalgobsec.a
    src
       BME680BSECTest.cpp
       bsec_integration.c
       bsec_integration.h
       build.mk

And when I try to build using:
make clean all PLATFORM=photon APPDIR=../../BME680BSECTest

I get the following error:

/photon/system-part2 -L../../../modules/photon/system-part1 -L. -T./linker.ld -Wl,--defsym,USER_FIRMWARE_IMAGE_SIZE=0x20000 -Wl,--defsym,USER_FIRMWARE_IMAGE_LOCATION=0x80A0000 -Wl,-Map,../../BME680BSECTest/target/BME680BSECTest.map
../../../build/target/user/platform-6-m/BME680BSECTest//libuser.a(bsec_integration.o): In function `bsec_iot_init':
/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/user/../../BME680BSECTest//src/bsec_integration.c:181: undefined reference to `bme680_init'
/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/user/../../BME680BSECTest//src/bsec_integration.c:188: undefined reference to `bsec_init'
/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/user/../../BME680BSECTest//src/bsec_integration.c:198: undefined reference to `bsec_set_configuration'
/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/user/../../BME680BSECTest//src/bsec_integration.c:209: undefined reference to `bsec_set_state'
../../../build/target/user/platform-6-m/BME680BSECTest//libuser.a(bsec_integration.o): In function `bme680_bsec_update_subscription':
/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/user/../../BME680BSECTest//src/bsec_integration.c:142: undefined reference to `bsec_update_subscription'
../../../build/target/user/platform-6-m/BME680BSECTest//libuser.a(bsec_integration.o): In function `bsec_iot_loop':
/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/user/../../BME680BSECTest//src/bsec_integration.c:485: undefined reference to `bsec_sensor_control'
../../../build/target/user/platform-6-m/BME680BSECTest//libuser.a(bsec_integration.o): In function `bme680_bsec_trigger_measurement':
/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/user/../../BME680BSECTest//src/bsec_integration.c:262: undefined reference to `bme680_set_sensor_settings'
/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/user/../../BME680BSECTest//src/bsec_integration.c:265: undefined reference to `bme680_set_sensor_mode'
/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/user/../../BME680BSECTest//src/bsec_integration.c:268: undefined reference to `bme680_get_profile_dur'
/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/user/../../BME680BSECTest//src/bsec_integration.c:283: undefined reference to `bme680_get_sensor_mode'
../../../build/target/user/platform-6-m/BME680BSECTest//libuser.a(bsec_integration.o): In function `bme680_bsec_read_data':
/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/user/../../BME680BSECTest//src/bsec_integration.c:306: undefined reference to `bme680_get_sensor_data'
../../../build/target/user/platform-6-m/BME680BSECTest//libuser.a(bsec_integration.o): In function `bme680_bsec_process_data':
/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/user/../../BME680BSECTest//src/bsec_integration.c:401: undefined reference to `bsec_do_steps'
../../../build/target/user/platform-6-m/BME680BSECTest//libuser.a(bsec_integration.o): In function `bsec_iot_loop':
/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/user/../../BME680BSECTest//src/bsec_integration.c:503: undefined reference to `bsec_get_state'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
../../../build/module.mk:222: recipe for target '../../BME680BSECTest/target/BME680BSECTest.elf' failed
make[1]: *** [../../BME680BSECTest/target/BME680BSECTest.elf] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/modules/photon/user-part'
makefile:85: recipe for target '/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/modules/photon/user-part/makefile' failed
make: *** [/home/<USER>/Documents/src/firmware/modules/photon/user-part/makefile] Error 2

For some reason the header files in the inc folder does not seem to be linked even though it is being called in the bsec_integration.h file:

#include "bme680.h"
#include "bsec_interface.h"
#include "bsec_datatypes.h"

the build.mk file is just the boiler plate as mentioned in https://docs.particle.io/faq/particle-tools/local-build/core/#including-additional-header-directories

# Standard behavior must be included here
INCLUDE_DIRS += $(SOURCE_PATH)/$(USRSRC)  # add user sources to include path
CPPSRC += $(call target_files,$(USRSRC_SLASH),*.cpp)
CSRC += $(call target_files,$(USRSRC_SLASH),*.c)

APPSOURCES=$(call target_files,$(USRSRC_SLASH),*.cpp)
APPSOURCES+=$(call target_files,$(USRSRC_SLASH),*.c)

# Custom stuff can be added here
INCLUDE_DIRS += $(SOURCE_PATH)/inc

Is there something that I have missed?

I never did, no. I went down a rabbit hole getting local build working; (po-util now works on vanilla ubuntu server docker images) I set up a local network build server, but I had to move on to projects that had a higher priority. If you do figure out the magic way to stack the cards, please share! If I get back to this project & beat you to it I’ll post what worked.

@warriorofwire Thanks. Will keep you posted

@rickkas7 @ParticleD any chance you guys could figure out whats going wrong?

@warriorofwire I finally got it working.

1. Regarding your local build issue. Particle has a much better tutorial here on how to set it up.
  2. BSEC provides a static library that needs to be linked for the compiler to be able to use it. @tlangmo has provided step by step instruction on how to get it done.

Here is how I got it working.

1. Get your local build up and running using this tutorial
  2. Clone the BME680 with IAQ output - Particle repo
  3. Add the libalgobsec.a to the the build directory /user/applications/photon-BME680/
  4. Modify makefile located in /modules/photon/user-part to add:
  • Add export MODULAR=y
export COMPILE_LTO=n
export MODULAR=y
  • Update LIB_DEPS & LDFLAGS variable to include the static library
LIB_DIRS += $(dir $(LIB_DEPS))
LIB_DEPS += $(PROJECT_ROOT)/user/applications/photon-BME680/libalgobsec.a
LDFLAGS += -Wl,--whole-archive $(PROJECT_ROOT)/hal/src/photon/lib/STM32F2xx_Peripheral_Libraries.a $(PROJECT_ROOT)/user/applications/photon-BME680/libalgobsec.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive

Compile and flash from the /modules using

• make all PLATFORM=photon APPDIR=
  • particle flash --usb /target/.bin