Atypically high celllular usage

I have a device in the field which historically would consume < 10 MB of data per month. I’m now seeing it more than double that amount. Watching the events, my publishes are as expected – about 1/minute, but I’m now seeing diagnostics that would seem to indicate the cell signal has deteriorated. I’m guessing someone may have moved the device to a location with poor cellular service. Just asking if my thought process seems sound. Specially, the signal quality and network disconnects are the metrics of primary concern. Here’s the diagnostic data:

{"device":{"network":{"cellular":{"radio_access_technology":"3G","operator":"AT&T Wireless Inc.","cell_global_identity":{"mobile_country_code":310,"mobile_network_code":"410","location_area_code":12984,"cell_id":218528283}},"signal":{"at":"UMTS","strength":0,"strengthv":-121,"strengthv_units":"dBm","strengthv_type":"RSCP","quality":14.29,"quality_units":"%","qualityv":-21,"qualityv_units":"dB","qualityv_type":"ECN0"},"connection":{"status":"connected","error":0,"disconnects":3,"attempts":4,"disconnect_reason":"error"}},"cloud":{"connection":{"status":"connected","error":0,"attempts":3,"disconnects":0,"disconnect_reason":"network_disconnect"},"coap":{"transmit":46,"retransmit":43,"unack":0,"round_trip":4416},"publish":{"rate_limited":0}},"power":{"battery":{"charge":95.76,"state":"charged"},"source":"VIN"},"system":{"uptime":2634,"memory":{"used":27216,"total":113664}}},"service":{"device":{"status":"ok"},"cloud":{"uptime":849,"publish":{"sent":4}},"coap":{"round_trip":3338}}}

Hi @ctmorrison - we’d be happy to look into this for you in the context of a support ticket (just because we need to actually look at the Device ID).

There’s a general guide that might be of use to you here: Understanding My Data Consumption – Particle Support.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.